Is it possible to Puke through the reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure it's possible but it's simpler to just go to Walmarts and buy some anti-motion sickness pills for around three dollars and then you won't have to worry about it.

i have done it. worked fine for me and lots of pictures were taken with a million fish all around my face. cheese and crackers seem to be a good food group for small fish.

I have seen my wife do it several times. She has now however taught herself to take her reg out of her mouth, puke and the replace reg and purge as if nothing to it! I watched her do this 3 times in succession and then my "Instructor Conscious" finally got the best of me and I decided we'd better both head to the the surface! She was fine. If it were me, I would have likely drowned!

you can also sob uncontrollably through a reg while planning on giving up all diving forever, though your eyes start to itch from the tear tracks.

Haven't done it, but I've seen it. Keeping the reg in keeps you from drowning because after you hurl, what comes next? You take a breath.

Best way to avoid that (short of rough seas) is to avoid coffee, orange juice, and greasy or spicy foods. Eat light but easy to digest foods like toast and some protein.

One of the first dives I did out of Key Largo, the DM said "Keep the reg in and just breathe through the chunks!" I thought that would be a good name for a boat: Breathe Through the Chunks! Bonine works well for me. I dont get drousy and just stay upwind, up current of the chukkers

It is always good measure to chew your food a little extra if you will be diving later...just in case.

:rofl3: true

i have done it. worked fine for me and lots of pictures were taken with a million fish all around my face. cheese and crackers seem to be a good food group for small fish.

as was mentioned earlier, certain vegetables are a lot less effective at passing threw

you can also sob uncontrollably through a reg while planning on giving up all diving forever, though your eyes start to itch from the tear tracks.
Also, from personal experience: it is possible to scream in frustration threw your reg so loud it will be recorded on video. My Fundies class proved that beyond all doubt! :(

During my Open Water cert one of the guys on the boat was getting quite ill because of the swells and took 10-15 min on the surface before he was able to start the dive, It was mentioned it's OK you can just puke through your reg if needed.
I imagine that has to be quite an experience because I know when I throw up it can be quite voilent and something I do not want to experience under water. Has anybody experienced this ?
Thanks in advance Barry.
Just puke into your reg. after you finish, you can use your octopus. if you do move the open secondary around to 'wash it out' underwater and hit the purge valve. then you can put the main back in your mouth, blow to clear it and you should be good to go as before blowing lunch.
I would not take the reg out while you are puking, the urge to inhale might overcome you with no reg in your mouth. barf, blow, inhale.

I have seen my wife do it several times. She has now however taught herself to take her reg out of her mouth, puke and the replace reg and purge as if nothing to it! I watched her do this 3 times in succession and then my "Instructor Conscious" finally got the best of me and I decided we'd better both head to the the surface! She was fine. If it were me, I would have likely drowned!

Out of curiousity, how long did it take to teach herself to do this? Having never been seasick I have no idea, but for some people I would guess doing that would be a piece of cake? Perhaps those who had no trouble with the no mask/flooded mask skills?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom