Is it really that expensive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For shore diving, the further away from Georgetown and the cruise dock, the better the condition the coral will be.

the advice from Dfog is good- The Marriot IS very nice (I got a free stay there when I went fot he first time) - don't eat meals there though- these are very expensive- like $16 for breakfast. If you aim is to Dive- definately check out the shore dives- you will need to rent a car for that though- which is again fairly expensive, but still cheaper than the $85 for a two tanker boat trip. Check out shorediving.com for locations.
There are the liqour stores to walk to as mentioned above-when I was there the hotel gave us glasses and we sat on the beach with a bottle watching the sunset- who needs to pay bar prices? Also- near the liquor store is a really good Thai restuarant which is reasonablly priced, and a beach grill which had really good food and a great spot for sunset watching.

given the choice- I prefer the diving in Grand Cayman to Cozumel, mainly for me because I like the shore diving and I don't like drift diving. But both locations are good.

enjoy.

Why does everybody think that it costs US$85 for a 2-tank dive in Grand Cayman?

You need to do some shopping around! You will find that the majority of small group dive operations (ie some of the best operations on the island!) start their prices at US$75 for a 2-tank dive and the more you dive with them the cheaper it gets!
eg: more than 6 x 2-tank dives will cost only US$60 per trip.

Now try to tell me that Cayman has the most expensive diving!

There are some great shore dives here but there is no need to miss out on even better boat dives!

CJ

Cayman is downright cheap when you compare it to diving on the big island of Hawaii. 3 tank dives $170.
For shore diving sites there is:
Eden Rock, Dive tech at Turtle reef, Dive tech at Cobalt coast, Spanish Bay reef. There's more but these are the ones that are supported. You can schedule a night dive with dive tech and they'll leave some tanks out for you.
The great part of these sites is that there's an inner wall and a deep outer wall so you could do a number of dives and never see the same thing twice.
Check out Dive tech's scooter ride, they offer a scooter trip that starts at Cobalt Coast and ends at Turtle reef.
We were diving like crazy on our last trip. All these spots have a rinse tank so your equipment never gets a chance to dry out with salt water on it.
If you've never been to GCM before definitely do a couple of boat dives but the shore diving is spectacular and easy. Our last trip was the best time we had on Cayman and we never did a boat dive. The only problem with the shore dives is that you have to fin out a fare ways to get to the drop off but it's not that bad of a swim.
Have fun
Cjh

Congrats on your marriage. We spent a week at Morritts Tortuga Club in the East End a couple of years ago. We dove Stingray City(I know but you have to do it once) with Red Sail Sports. They were in this really nice park area at the East End where you could sit on the beach and it had these beautiful trees to shade you, water was nice, shallow for swimming and snorkeling there was a small reef there in very shallow water. The pier where the boat picked us up was also nice to snorkel under, lots of fish there. There was no charge that I remember for using any of the chairs or the beach area. Our friends (non divers)spent the day on the beach while hubby & I dove. We had a great lunch that was pretty cheap from the snack bar there. They served dogs,burgers, sandwiches. Taught our friends to snorkel off the beach there. We had a great day and ended up going back for another afternoon there. The entire area was very clean, there is a nice but spendy restaurant there as well. We had dinner there on our last night on GC. Also a small gift shop and the dive shop.

Our favorite meal was at the Lighthouse, it is on the spendy side but the food & view was well worth it. The turtle farm was OK as was Hell, sent home the postcard from there. We also ate at the restuarant close to the turtle farm, I don't remember the name of it. Food was OK but not worth the dollars. Drinks were good, view was awesome.

We also had lunch downtown at a beachside bar. Food was very good and reasonable. If you enjoy wine, I would suggest you take it with you in your carryon bag. Your allowed two liters per person and its real expensive on the Island. Rum was not to costly. Pick up some tonic water & limes and your in business. We found buying drinks in the bars/restaurants to be expensive. You can email the Marriott and ask if there is a fridge & coffee pot in your unit. If so, pick up or take some snack stuff with you for breakfast & lunch, you will same alot by making picnics for your days on the beach. We always take a softsided collasible (sp) cooler for the dive boats & beaches.

We loved GC and can't wait to go back again. The people were friendly and the island is very clean. The diving is superb.

Suzanne

GC is a great place. I have stayed at many hotels there, as I am there every few weeks on business. Currently I always stay at the Courtyard Marriot, great location, service etc. plus free high speed internet in every room, so take you laptop!!!

For value, you cannot beat Sunshine Suites, plus they have rinse facilities etc. for divers, and you have Sushi, Eats, Legendz etc, all there for good food and drinks!!!

Don't fool yourself people, GC is one of the more expensive places around but quality is worth paying for. As the saying goes you get what you pay for is true. You do pay but you won't be sorry for going. It is one of the cleanest, friendliest islands you can go next to Aruba. I loved it and will go back again. I will just remember to take a little more money with next time.
As for diving, the shore diving is ever bit as good as boat diving. And is lot cheaper. We dove Eden Rock, ?Sunset House, and Dive tech(turtle farm area) and loved it. Dive tech was the best (my opinion). I will dive all shore dives next time there unless some boats will give me a decent deal.

Scotty - our trip to French Polynesia made the prices in Grand Cayman seem trifling - I'm sure there are even more expensive places "around" than Tahiti though.

Diving there was US$70 per tank if I recall, for air, after conversion . . . but that could be cheaper than breakfast for two sometimes if you didn't look around.

We've been to Grand Cayman twice and agree there's value for the money there. Our FP trip was a "been there, tried that, what next" adventure, partially due to the pricing. We've been all over the Caribbean, but so far GC is the only place we've been to twice in the Caribbean. Worth both trips.

Back
Top Bottom