Is it really worth the risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving CCR 12 years ago. Everyone told me what an idiot I was and how I was going to die soon...lol.. Still love it!!! 350 or 20 feet it's still the best technology for diving. Granted I still dive OC for simple stuff or work, but I like my rebreathers.
I don't hold it against you for hating them... You'll come around:)

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

If you get an actual education on them, you'll probably find they are not as scary as you think!!

I started diving CCR 12 years ago. Everyone told me what an idiot I was and how I was going to die soon...lol.. Still love it!!! 350 or 20 feet it's still the best technology for diving. Granted I still dive OC for simple stuff or work, but I like my rebreathers.
I don't hold it against you for hating them... You'll come around:)

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

If you get an actual education on them, you'll probably find they are not as scary as you think!!

Yep, + 1

I have read this forum, and have to ask, is it really worth the risk?
It's a personal choice.

And thankfully in our society, we still have personal choice (for many things).

If you have a "need" for a rebreather that you can justify to yourself, then it is worth the risk. Cost & perceived complexity means I do not have much interest yet.

Your choice. Please feel free to enjoy whatever you choose as correct for yourself.

I thoroughly enjoy diving my CCR. I don't care if I'm at 30' in Bonaire or 120' off the NC coast, or wherever I end up in the future, I enjoy the silence and the other benefits of a CCR.

Of course, my idea of acceptable risk is different than yours. I'm also an ice hockey goalie and a plumbing contractor....so facing a slapshot from a big forward or pulling a urinal off the wall to clear a clog both are common parts of my life. I enjoy the process of getting the unit ready to dive and the steps it takes to do a dive.

That's just me. I know there are those who think I'm nuts.

Is it worth the risks? To me, yes, it is because my plans are to use my unit in cave diving (also risky). My take on it is,.... if someone has been well & thoroughly trained & stick to their training,... the risks, though there, are minimized. When diving a rebreather, you MUST pay attention to what the machine is doing & how your body is feeling. I was very fortunate in my training because it took me 10 months after I received my unit until I completed my MOD1 course (equivalent of OW). I got my unit in late Nov. After my instructor went through assembling the unit, I went & assembled it a dozen or so times (by check lists) before I even got it in the pool. I then spent the winter & spring putting it in the pool & learning how it worked, working on my buoyancy (totally different) & the little nuances of rebreather diving. I had over 40 hrs on the unit before I even got to Open Water. In June, my instructor & I started going to the local quarry to do the Open Water portion. We worked on skills & just getting familiar with depth changes & such through early Oct. After completing the course, I did a couple dives on it, before it became too cold to effectively dive, so back to the pool I went for the winter. My training was slow & VERY thorough, since I teach & work at my LDS, so my instructor constantly drilled me on formulas, problems, troubleshooting & procedures & he still does. This past spring & summer, I dove it every opportunity I got (just for fun or after teaching OW dives) & even took the unit to Bonaire & dove it, until the head flooded & the salt water fried the electronics. Once I got back, I was offered a fantastic deal on a newer unit with the Can Bus electronics, so I jumped at it. My take on the risks is the same as those in my technical diving- If I'm going to dive it, I am going to have my head in the game & be prepared. I will not be rushed in my preparations. It is not worth it. The water is not going anywhere.

I would just like to point out the above list Brad has linked to is seriously flawed in that it jumps to conclusions about equipment faults that has no basis in reality. Mr Horn has been banned from other rebreather forums for continually harping on this work of fiction.

Yes I agree with him in choose wisely but there is no magic rebreather out there that dives itself. No matter what some people will tell you the responsibility lies in the diver, to learn and use the knowledge to dive safely. There are no idiot prooof rebreathers currently on the market.

Yes I agree with him in choose wisely but there is no magic rebreather out there that dives itself. No matter what some people will tell you the responsibility lies in the diver, to learn and use the knowledge to dive safely. There are no idiot prooof rebreathers currently on the market.

Choose the tool wisely & choose the instructor wisely also. Both are equally important.

I would just like to point out the above list Brad has linked to is seriously flawed in that it jumps to conclusions about equipment faults that has no basis in reality. Mr Horn has been banned from other rebreather forums for continually harping on this work of fiction.
Dave, feel free to identify any listed incidents which don't happen to exhibit the listed faults - its a live list that DL appear to edit as more evidence about incidents comes to light. BTW if anyone has an issue with the accuracy of any incident that DL list and as recently proven on that same banned forum, DL proved they are quite open to corrections - you just need to be proactive and email accidents@deeplife.co.uk
Also odd that if the DL accident list is such a "work of fiction" that its listed as a source document in the OPs referenced paper; has a reference to a media report for most if not every incident and no more up to date or more accurate list of rebreather fatalities exists!

Choose the tool wisely & choose the instructor wisely also. Both are equally important.
Exactly!

---------- Post added December 4th, 2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Dave, feel free to identify any listed incidents which don't happen to exhibit the listed faults - its a live list that DL appear to edit as more evidence about incidents comes to light. BTW if anyone has an issue with the accuracy of any incident that DL list and as recently proven on that same banned forum, DL proved they are quite open to corrections - you just need to be proactive and email accidents@deeplife.co.uk
Also odd that if the DL accident list is such a "work of fiction" that its listed as a source document in the OPs referenced paper; has a reference to a media report for most if not every incident and no more up to date or more accurate list of rebreather fatalities exists!

Yeah Brad, just because DL or the media says it doesn't make it true.

Back
Top Bottom