Is it safe to take acetaminophen or a Nsaid after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just curious if taking acetaminophen or a Nsaid after diving is safe since the body is still off gassing. I only get a mild headache about one or twice a year but was curious to see if I had a headache, or other pain after a dive it would be okay to take either drug. Thanks for the help

Just curious if taking acetaminophen or a Nsaid after diving is safe since the body is still off gassing. I only get a mild headache about one or twice a year but was curious to see if I had a headache, or other pain after a dive it would be okay to take either drug. Thanks for the help
Hi @Nitrox_DiverNY ,

I don't know of any evidence to suggest that either drug influences off-gassing. One potential pitfall of medicating pain after a dive is that symptoms of decompression sickness could be masked, so if you suspect that you might have DCS, I'd recommend you avoid medicating it and instead seek immediate medical help.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @Nitrox_DiverNY ,

I don't know of any evidence to suggest that either drug influences off-gassing. One potential pitfall of medicating pain after a dive is that symptoms of decompression sickness could be masked, so if you suspect that you might have DCS, I'd recommend you avoid medicating it and instead seek immediate medical help.

Best regards,
DDM
no worries about DCS but a good point to take into consideration. Just wanted to make sure there was no danger in taking these two types of medications after a dive for any reason (besides risk of masking DCS). Thanks

Personally i avoid acetaminophen. It is easy to take too much and can result in liver failure. I find that ibuprofen works far better and is more difficult to overdose.

Personally i avoid acetaminophen. It is easy to take too much and can result in liver failure. I find that ibuprofen works far better and is more difficult to overdose.
There are no absolutely safe pain relievers but when taken in recommended doses acetaminophen is generally considered the safest, especially in older adults.

NSAIDs actually have higher risks even at recommended dosages, including kidney damage, heart attack and stroke. Again this is a greater risk for older adults but I have seen changes in kidney function even in younger adults.

There are no absolutely safe pain relievers but when taken in recommended doses acetaminophen is generally considered the safest, especially in older adults.

NSAIDs actually have higher risks even at recommended dosages, including kidney damage, heart attack and stroke. Again this is a greater risk for older adults but I have seen changes in kidney function even in younger adults.
didn't know that about NSAIDs, thanks for the heads up

how does it change the risk factor if you have a PFO? I have never been tested, but your saying that if you have a PFO and take one of these pain relievers after diving, it could lead to DCS?
Two different issues got mixed up here. A PFO can contribute to DCS. Pain relievers have nothing to do with this. A PFO has nothing to do with your original question about pain relievers. I think your statement "no worries about DCS" may have been interpreted in a broader context than your question.

Acetaminophen also has some psychological affects, including increasing risk-taking behavior:

Effects of acetaminophen on risk taking

From my layman's perspective, it looks like this is probably not a significant impact when taken within recommended dosages -- especially for someone like @Nitrox_DiverNY who's describing use only a few times a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom