Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who is "they"? Some of us came onto the scene after whatever the kerfuffle was about and have no memory of it, took a GUE class in which the term "DIR" was never mentioned, have not come across any GUE divers with an attitude of superiority, and we don't want to be labeled with something that has negative connotations to some.
Here's an article by someone named George Irvine that is such an example. Doing It Right Gear Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I've heard several folks on scubaboard say that GUE has disavowed the "DIR" monicker. However it does seem to persist all over their website and materials. If they really want to eliminate it, they should start with their own publications.

Kerfuffle! Love it!

What is "DIR Practitioner"?
"Doing It Right," which referred to a system of diving (and a standardized diving rig) developed by the cave-divers of the Woodville Karst Plain Project back in the late 1980s. In terms of dive gear, it meant the rig developed by Bill Hogarth Main, one of the founders of the WKPP -- yes, the oft-mentioned "Hogarthian" rig of backplate, wings, and back-mounted manifolded doubles, set up with that 7-foot hose on the right-hand (primary) regulator.

(Amusing footnote: I dug back through my old data-backup CDs and found the 1990s-vintage 'techdiver' article by Jarrod Jablonski, "The Hogarthian Gear Configuration," that taught me the merits of breathing and donating the long hose in the first place.)

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"- Arthur Carlson, WKRP....
^^^^this guy?!?!

Oh, wait...nevermind....

Back
Top Bottom