Is mixing different brands okay to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for mixing brands, I don't think it matters at all. What matters more IMO is a local shop that can properly service whatever gear you have.

I'll second what seeker said. I've always had a mix of brands over the years. The ScubaPro set up you are considering is certainly a high quality set of gear. You won't regret the quality of the ScubaPro. But... most manufacturers make quality gear if you are buying towards the higher end of their line, and most are cheaper than ScubaPro. Develop a good relationship with your LDS for equipment service, but don't feel that you have to buy all the latest and greatest gadgets.

I'll also second what tbone said. There is no reason why new diver shouldn't start out on a backplate and wing. They are incredibly stable and comfortable underwater and will make it easier to get into a comfortable horizontal trim. One of the dive shops I use told me they sell jacket style BCs because that's what customers think they should have. Most of the folks in the shop recommend a plate and wing when asked. I'll also vote for the Shearwater Perdix. It is way more computer than you need right now, but the true beauty of this computer is that it is simple to use. Also in recreational mode it is one of the cleanest looking displays I've ever seen.

Hi Scuba Nat! Most of this has already been said.

You will find very few posters on SB with matching gear. Even the few that started that way did not stay that way for long. No one manufacturer has the best of everything. And the "best" for one diver isn't the best for another. Fit and function is key. Not the name on the label.

Now about your specific choices. When it comes to regulators, SP is indeed a quality reg and maintanance or repairs will not be a problem where ever you travel. The MK 25 is an excellent first stage and should serve you well. I don't own the A700 second stage but I understand it is also excellent. But there are cheaper, also excellent options if you decide you are open to alternatives.

The Hydros pro BCD looks perfectably acceptable but I would absolutely not buy it without the oppotunity to at least try it on if not it a pool. And the cost is excessive. I can think of no features in a BCD that would be worth that kind of price when there are so many good, cheaper options. But your BCD is one peice of gear that really needs to fit and be comfortable on you, regardless of the label.

The Air 2 is acceptable as well if an inline alternate air is the way you want to go.

And lastly, the Galileo will get the job done but it is certainly not the best dive computer at that price point.

I suggest, as others have, you mix and match gear according to what fits and meets your needs and forget the labels. There is no advantage to buying from one manufacturer.

I bet if you took all the labels off, and tried out different brands of each component, you would not end up with a brand-matched set of gear. I am also in the BP/W camp, but would also suggest a compromise in a Dive Rite Trans-Pack. It gives you most of the modular advantages of a BP/W but might be a little easier to travel with, and can be set up with integrated dump weights if you like. Getting a streamlined set-up is really what you are after.

Take a hard look at the advantages of a sealed diaphragm regulator before you commit to the Mk25. I'm sure it will serve you well, but there are some advantages to having an environmentally sealed 1st stage.

I have actually encountered one issue with a ScubaPro BC that I own. It has a small leak in the inflator-to-bladder fitting. And since ScubaPro has their own proprietary fittings, I cannot get the parts from the shop I use, or online. I am not a big fan of the nearest SP dealer, so that has this particular BC out of service until I get around to tracking down a friendly SP person who will sell me the $3 part for less than $100. My point is.. If you go the SP route, then make sure you stay on good terms with your LDS/SP dealer. If they turn out to be jerks... then your on your own getting service. All of my other (5) BCs us the same type inflators and adapters, so I can walk into almost any shop and get replacements. (and I have).

You might have seen that all the instructors and DMs at your shop are all wearing full sets of scubapro gear. If they are, there is almost always a contract that the dive shop signed that gives the store an extra discount or something. My local LDS has that deal with Aqualung, and for anyone who works for the shop to dive a piece of gear that is not aqualung and similar to something that an aqualung company makes requires permission of the regional sales manager.

I bet if you took all the labels off, and tried out different brands of each component, you would not end up with a brand-matched set of gear. I am also in the BP/W camp, but would also suggest a compromise in a Dive Rite Trans-Pack. It gives you most of the modular advantages of a BP/W but might be a little easier to travel with, and can be set up with integrated dump weights if you like. Getting a streamlined set-up is really what you are after.

Take a hard look at the advantages of a sealed diaphragm regulator before you commit to the Mk25. I'm sure it will serve you well, but there are some advantages to having an environmentally sealed 1st stage.

I have actually encountered one issue with a ScubaPro BC that I own. It has a small leak in the inflator-to-bladder fitting. And since ScubaPro has their own proprietary fittings, I cannot get the parts from the shop I use, or online. I am not a big fan of the nearest SP dealer, so that has this particular BC out of service until I get around to tracking down a friendly SP person who will sell me the $3 part for less than $100. My point is.. If you go the SP route, then make sure you stay on good terms with your LDS/SP dealer. If they turn out to be jerks... then your on your own getting service. All of my other (5) BCs us the same type inflators and adapters, so I can walk into almost any shop and get replacements. (and I have).
This post brings in the topic of DIY service. Something you should eventually understand and make a decision about what level you are capable of. There are various levels of "awareness".

As a minimum you should learn how your gear works. You should be able to perform self inspections of your gear and be able to decide if it is faulty and then choose not to dive it. This may never happen to you, but being educated is generally a good thing. Do you know how to visually inspect a regulator hose?

The next trivial step is self cleaning / maintenance (not service just yet!). Popping the cover off of your second stage to clean out any salt / sand, using an IP gauge to verify the operation of your first stage, popping a dump valve off your BCD / wing in order to rinse it, swapping dive computer batteries,...

Then there is actual servicing (as required) of your gear. A whole other ball game.

Also know, there's only a handful of manufacturers making the same products with different brand labels slapped on them. Sure their may be differentiating finishes, but for all intents and purposes you could have the option to buy the same product from a number of different brands.
Truer words have never been spoken. Sherwood is probably the worlds leading manufacturer of valves used in every industry imaginable. They also make many of the regulators and components used in regulators that are rebranded under many different names. Take the Sherwood Ultima second stage regulator for example. This is not Sherwoods attempt to manufacture a look alike of the Poseidon Jetstream. The Poseidon Jetstream, arguably one of the best regulators ever made, is a Sherwood manufactured regulator. The Ultima is identical to the Jetstream in every way inside and out except for the Sherwood name on the purge button and the little bronze logo on the body. Brand names aren't as important as people think they are.

Attachments

• $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 76
  • poseidon-jetstream-mk3.jpg
    poseidon-jetstream-mk3.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Some people are tellling me I could save money by mixing gear or going to websites. To be honest I don't trust leisure pro because they aren't a certified dealer for any of the stuff they sell.
That's no longer true. Afaik - and I've checked several brands - the only one they're still not authorized for is Aqualung. A simple way to check is if their prices are the same as other online retailers - they are.

Capture.JPG

Don't be wowed by "Platinum Reseller" as that means they're required by dealer contract to only stock certain Scubapro lines exclusively - judging from my local Platinum Reseller thats regs and bc's because they sell other brand suits. Scubapro doesn't make a computer I'm interested in so I don't follow those.

It doesn't make the Scubapro gear sold through a Platinum Reseller any better, cheaper or impact their warranty. If LeisurePro has a better price and you buy your ScubaPro gear there, your local dealer is obligated by his dealer agreement to provide warranty service and FPFL. Compare LeisurePro, beaverdivers (one of our members) and your local shop - chances are the prices will be identical.

One other thing is call LeisurePro instead of basing your cost comparisons on their website price. And your local dealer also. Most dealer agreements require public advertising of a mfr's gear be done at MSRP or MAP - I know from my SP dealer they have 10% lee-way from Scubapro. Some apply it, some don't.

fwiw, Parts are typically 10% of the total cost of a service where I live so don't make that your sole reason for your selections. Also if you plan to dive in NJ or that region, almost all the Scubapro line this year - except the Mk21 - has been upgraded to their EVO line which is components specifically selected/modified for better cold water performance. Best of the SP diaphragm models is the Mk17 - IDK the 2nds they pair it with.

Inherently Diaphragm-based regulators are better in Cold water also since most/all of the moving parts on one are shielded by the diaphragm itself. On Piston models most reg mfr's provide an optional sealing kit which consists of a cap with some silicone-based grease that provides increased tolerance to lower temperatures. I dive Atomics and that's how they do it since their entire line is piston-based - I'm relatively sure the Mk25 does also w/o having to check.

If you can afford it, I wouldn't let anyone here talk you out of the MK25 - I was all set to buy one (Mk25T/S600T) until I compared with Atomic. I really would've been happy with either one but in the end the 2 year service interval sold me on Atomic. Their seat-saver orifice makes sense for someone like me who only travels to dive - often once or more times per year.

Although people think Scubapro overpriced - I think you get what you pay for. It's a reliable company owned by a major corporation so likely to be around for a while. I feel the same about the Huish owned companies, Atomic, Zeagle, Bare etc.

Plus their worldwide dealer network is probably second only to Aqualung which may prove useful during travel. It did for me once, I blew something powering-up my reg (Atomic) - sat out that dive, the captain said he'd drop it with their reg tech while we ate lunch and as we were re-boarding the reg tech handed me my fixed reg an hour later. Because they had the part in-stock on Roatan.

hth,

Last edited:
I wouldn't put too much weight into the free spare parts program. Labor is the primary cost of maintenance anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, you must definitely not mix brands. That is for obvious safety reasons. Even if the mask does not fit well on your face and leaks, you must take the scubapro mask. Do not bend that principle, your life depends on it ! Also, don 't spend too much time looking at what material is used for building the equipment or think about the way to use them in the water, or even test-drive them in the pool (heavens no !) : what matters most is which country it is assembled in, and whether the shop you buy it from has an exclusivity deal with the brand. That is the only garanty of an objective and sound advice on their part. By mixing gear or getting a travel backplate/wing setup you would run the chance to confuse your instabuddy: he would believe your are into tech diving, and you would in no time end-up doing deco stop in a cold mucky cave while you were expecting a coral garden from the dive brief :D

I have regulators from Scubapro, Aqualung and Apeks. And sometimes first stages are mixed with other brand second stages. My masks are from Aqualung AND 1 bought in China for less than 20 dollar with myopia lenses of excellent quality.
Backuplights: Brinyte, Odepro, Divenology. All different brands that EXACTLY make the same product, just rebranded. Original manufacturer is Brinyte.

My divestuff must fit me. A brand I don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom