Is my wetsuit too tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShellyD

New
Reaction score
Hi!
I just bought a new wetsuit from the internet for a really really good price ($90). It's a 2 piece 7mm. I can get it zipped on, but I'm not sure if it's too tight. It fits snug but ok in the legs and arms. But it's a bit small in the chest (it is a woman's wetsuit) and it is small in the neck. Will it wear in a bit? Should it feel really tight? Anything I can do to stretch it out a bit? I think if it was worn in (out) it would fit better.

Keep in mind, I'll be wearing it mostly in the Caribbean. I bought the 7mm because I get chilly if I dive in the winter down south. But in the summer, the shorty will be just fine.
Thanks!

7mm for the carribean, you are really going to be warm babe. It sounds like it's too small. They don't really stretch out that much. A 7mm suit feels tight since they are so stiff. It's your call............

A couple of things to consider.
Does it restrict your breathing in a big way?
Will you be able to reach your valve (s) (note this might take some practice or even some instruction).
Mine fits tight and i usually have to blow a breath in the cuffs to let the suit properly settle.
I've seen others dump in a mixture of conditioner and water (50/50) but I never tried that.
The main thing is to be able to breath properly and be able to operate your tank valve.
Bottom line is that I agree it's your call.
Best of luck to you.
mech

I always find that any thick wetsuit feels a little tight-that why I prefer 3mm in the carribbean!!! But as the poster mentioned above- the primary thing is to make sure it does not restrict your breathing- that is a big problem. Hyperstretch suits are expensive-but good.
The 50/50 conditioner helps to glide them on, but any chest restriction is a problem. It can be difficult for ladies lucky up top to get wesuits with enough room (I unfortunately don't have that problem) so you may need to try on some different brands to find one with better styling. It can make a big difference in comfort levels.

overall-as you say, you might be Ok with the shorty, but maybe need to look at alternatives for the two together.

Shelly,
I think that it just may be the unnatural feel of the wetsuit doubled up. I've been diving my 6.5 FJ/J for 5 years and it still feels a bit "snug".
Munki is dead on by asking if you feel that it restricts your breathing. If your breathing feels restricted, then I would say, yes, it's too small.
If you are, indeed, a cold natured person, then when diving in the Carribe just wear the farmer john with a lycra skin. If you get warm, you can always pull the neck out a bit and allow some cool water in. On the other hand, if you get cold, you get cold. Ya can't light a fire in your wet suit.
If your physique is such that it is just too tight across the bosom, perhaps you could take/send it to a company that manufacturers wet suits and have them put an expansion panel in the sternum area.

I've been diving a two piece 7mm wetsuit for years (I get cold in 45 degree water without one). It should feel stiff, but not tight. You should feel like the Michelin Man while wearing it on land, but if you think it's too tight, you're probably right.

That said, I think you're going to feel really hot wearing that in the Caribbean.

Hi Shelly,
My girlfriends and I also wear a 5 to 7mm in the Caribbean winters. Some thinner women seem to get cold faster. AND... I also had problems finding a wetsuit that fits. I'm a borderline size ... size 6 is too small, size 8 is too big. And if you are tall, then it will be snugger in the torso and therefore chest.
I bought a used 7mm and it was pretty snug at first (and a bit short). But, after I wore it a few times it formed to my body better.
Why not try wearing it at home for an hour and see if you feel overly restricted. It's going to be snugger than in the water, but you'll get an idea of whether it will be tolerable. (Make sure you have the A/C on!)
See you down south!

ShellyD:
Hi!
But it's a bit small in the chest (it is a woman's wetsuit) and it is small in the neck.
Keep in mind, I'll be wearing it mostly in the Caribbean. I bought the 7mm because I get chilly if I dive in the winter down south. But in the summer, the shorty will be just fine.
Thanks!

Carotid (sp?) artery reflex. this can happen if your wetsuit is too tight around your neck. I have to look this up again...getting old...but I believe it's when your carotid artery feels pressure the brains tells the heart to slow down because it thinks there is too much pressure going to the brain. This is exactly what you don't want to happen since you already may be slowing the flow with the wetsuit s. Blood flow slows even more to the brain and you could pass out under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom