• YES, regardless of your training level anything can happen down there

Votes: 117 50.6%
  • NO, if you & your buddy are at least PADI Rescue Diver certified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, unless you buy a PONY BOTTLE or SPARE AIR

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • NO, if you know your limit and respect it. you can even dive alone

Votes: 54 23.4%
  • YES, Pro divers with many years of experience still die due to unforseen circumstances

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • NO, if dont go into Technical Diving or overhead envirnoment

• YES, if you depend too much on AI computer

• NO, if you just use the plastic table and a bottom timer

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can be dangerous, its the stupid things that people do while doing the sport that you are into.

I always check and double check and triple check my dive gear before I dive starting at home then boat or shore dives.

I want the best and safest dive and not do anything really stupid that you will end up in the news. It was what we were all trained to do when first learning this sport, Relax and take your time as this is not a race ou there.

Dan :doctor: :wacko: :boom:

I feel diving is a dangerous activity, perhaps this may even be the attraction to a lot of divers, it forces you to pay attention, think clearly, pushes your personal limits; I think it is an activity best suited for physical, intelligient types, I also feel the recreational dive industry understimates the risk, though I must admit the injury rate is suprisingly low zeN

AliKat once bubbled...
Not sure how/where they got their stats. I just think the point is, with proper training, there is not much higher of chance of death from SCUBA than from a lot of other daily activities.

I think that's the important part to keep in perspective.

Proper self awareness, too.

Diving isn't something that you can do while distacted, like many other endevors.

And I have never (knock on wood) sustained a diving related injury. I did, a few years back develop a tennis elbow from bowling and had to quit.

That must have been tough on the racquet.

Scubadiving is a equipment extensive sport... therfore there will always be a chance of failure and unseen circumstances that may arise, beacuse any manmade product can fail with out warning. Sure it is dangerous but if you have respect for the water and your ability and prepare for the worst your chances of survival and greatly increased.

Scubaddawg

DANGEROUS does not exactly describe diving in my book. For that matter is riding a train dangerous. Is getting on an airplane dangerous. Is riding a motorcycle or 4-wheeler dangerous. Is driving or riding in a car dangerous. The truth of the matter is that people have died doing everything that we do each day. We must concur that diving isn't dangerous. However danger does suround diving as with airplanes, cars, motorcycles, walking down the street. Personally I don't consider diving dangerous. Their are risks that are involved with it as with eating meat, or using sweet-n-low. If a person follows what he is taught and dives within his limitations the risks are decreased.

Oh he!! yes.

You could get your a$$ flamed to death by just asking a scuba questions here much less diving with some of the maniacs around here. Beware: DOR -- Dive at your own risk. hahaha.

(She ducks and runs. Looking for that long hose donation to catch her breath.) R

I have seen those accident statistics from PADI. I wonder if the average accident playing American football is the same severity as the average accident scuba diving. We had a diver die today in Canada.

There is a difference between football and diving,...a lot of people break legs,..a little differnt from losing your life in scuba.

If a person ends up in the emergency room on a drug over dose,...and the doc asks what he took..If the person says,..only 3 aspirin,.....should I care what happens to him.

If a person jumps in the water tens years after certification with only his certification dives under his belt ,...should I care what happens to him?

The BAR association forbids lawyers to have sex with their clients,..why?

Too prevent the clients for being charged twice for basically the same service.

We can micro manage the c-card a little further.

I remember when there was a scuba cert and OW cert. The OW required actuall ocean, open water. That kind of went away,..now people are certified in deep pools, fish tanks and catfish junction ponds,...then they can jump on a rig tender in the GUlf, go 20 miles off shore and jump in 100'.,...but their c-card should expire. Back in catfish junction, there is snow on the ground, so normally they would do their renew cert in the pool,..it is being cleaned. That's ok,...the standards will allow deviation so not to allow delay of money coming in,....classroom simulation will be acepted!

Most boats in FLorida require to see a c-card and list the last three dives on the liability waiver. So you will list three catfish junction dives and beside put a small cs for (Classroom Simulation)

So lets make more money,....you are climbing on a boat in Florida, so lets see your boat specialty cert,.....You have one from catfish junction that is normally done on a pantoon boat is glass water,..but they lost the boat keys so you simulated it from a dock. That should be close enough for a 50' rig tender, 20 miles off shore bobbing in seas,.. we'll give you some tips on that 15' giant stride jump off the boat.

Your in Florida and there is a 40 degree difference in water temp from CA, so you will need a Florida scuba specialty cert.

It is Manatee season so you will need to show me your Manatee awareness cert.

We will be diving over 60' so you will have to show me your deep diver cert, and rent a pony bottle and computer.

I see you have put down that you are a smoker,...we have determined that regular air is not good enough for smokers,...you will have to rent NITROX gear,...your NITROX cert please.

Are taking that camera,......we found an article where a diver held his breath taking a picture 20 years ago,...you will need a Underwater photo cert.

You want that mask strap,..I will need to see your Equipment specialty cert,..or I can sell you a very nice backup mask.

It was just reported that the vis is only 15',...you will need to show me your night/low vis cert. and rent primary and backup lights.

Also PADI has just ecided to make Rescue diver certs expire annually like DM and instructors. All you have to do for this is take a annual medic first aid, cpr class and send PADI $200

OK that almost does it,..you have met all of the requirements for you first dive,..let's move on to the second. It is a spearfish dive on Black Bart a old tug,

Wreck diver cert please

PADI speargun safety course please

Under water hunter please

Florida spearfishing regulation course card please

Fishing license please.

Zillion dollar liability in case you spear someone insurance please.

Now I have good news and bad news

The bad news,..the boat left 20 min ago.

Good news,...I can give you a Equipment specialty course while they are out and you can take the afternoon boat

I think diving has the potential to be dangerous.

We are air breathing mammals and are not able to survive underwater without a mechanical life support system.

In training we are taught how to handle problem situations and deal with emergencies, that would otherwise be life threatening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom