Is Solo diving a category of Technical diving?

What do you consider Solo diving to be:

• A form of technical diving.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Advanced diving but not to the degree of technical.

Votes: 61 52.1%
  • Just another alternative to buddy diving.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • A type of diving that should never be done.

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
Page 7 of Decompression prococedures,theory, equipment and procedures, TDI states " Buddies do not always have the same deco schedule, so you may be above or below your buddy, dependent on yourself, not someone else." and" The techniques that your instuctor will instill in you are self-reliance and competence to perform the dive"

This would put solo diving in the crossover to tech diving catagory.

On the other hand, If you bring a pony bottle for when you go ooa ,than you have not done the proper planning to even think this is technical

You completely lost me on this statement?

A technical dive, at its simplest, is a dive with an overhead, requiring the planning, equipment, skills and discipline to complete it safely.
A solo dive is a dive alone. If the solo dive doesn't meet the technical parameters it isn't technical. If it does, it is.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
A technical dive, at its simplest, is a dive with an overhead, requiring the planning, equipment, skills and discipline to complete it safely.
A solo dive is a dive alone. If the solo dive doesn't meet the technical parameters it isn't technical. If it does, it is.
Rick

Who's technical parameters? At one time or another I've seen all kinds of things called technical diving, dry suit, full face mask. What about good ol-fashioned RECREATIONAL ice diving?

Tech/non-tech...stupid terms in my opinion that are made more stupid by the fact that no one agrees on what they are.

The fact is though that a solo dive...any solo dive puts many if not most recreational divers beyond what they were trained to do. the most glaring example is OOA responses. How many divers are taught that the first option when out of air is to share with a buddy? Can't follow their training because their buddy isn't there. LOL

Gas management? How often is that not taught at all? And that goes for classes all the way to recreational instructor.

A guy on a solo dive needs to switch to his pony reg...he has something like that right? or does he? more than a few divers in this forum have posted about solo diving with no redundant gas source. But anyway, he switched only to find out he dragged it through the sand or mud and fouled the exhaust diapgragm. How many recreational divers have practiced breathing through a continously flooding reg?

I just read a post where one diver tried slinging his pony. He said he liked it but when he turns his head to far he hits the valve. Not that it's rocket science but he wasn't trained in wearing and using a bottle like this.

By "no trained" I don't mean that one needs a formal class to learn but rather that it's just a skill that isn't taught in recreational training and maybe isn't all that common to run accross in recreational diving at all.

Another thing I'd point out is that the biggest recreational officially considers solo diving a form of "technical diving". Also that the skills list taught in the one and only solo class reads like a intro to tech class.

Not trying to be antaganistic Mike, but doesn't PADI teach that the first response to an OOA/LOA situation is a normal ascent?

In fact, in PADI's five responses to an OOA/LOA 1,3, and 5 are independent actions.

MikeFerrara:
Who's technical parameters? At one time or another I've seen all kinds of things called technical diving, dry suit, full face mask. What about good ol-fashioned RECREATIONAL ice diving?

Tech/non-tech...stupid terms in my opinion that are made more stupid by the fact that no one agrees on what they are.

The fact is though that a solo dive...any solo dive puts many if not most recreational divers beyond what they were trained to do. the most glaring example is OOA responses. How many divers are taught that the first option when out of air is to share with a buddy? Can't follow their training because their buddy isn't there. LOL

Gas management? How often is that not taught at all? And that goes for classes all the way to recreational instructor.

A guy on a solo dive needs to switch to his pony reg...he has something like that right? or does he? more than a few divers in this forum have posted about solo diving with no redundant gas source. But anyway, he switched only to find out he dragged it through the sand or mud and fouled the exhaust diapgragm. How many recreational divers have practiced breathing through a continously flooding reg?

I just read a post where one diver tried slinging his pony. He said he liked it but when he turns his head to far he hits the valve. Not that it's rocket science but he wasn't trained in wearing and using a bottle like this.

By "no trained" I don't mean that one needs a formal class to learn but rather that it's just a skill that isn't taught in recreational training and maybe isn't all that common to run accross in recreational diving at all.

Maybe what's really needed is a new agency dedicated solely for the training of solo divers.

cortez:
Not trying to be antaganistic Mike, but doesn't PADI teach that the first response to an OOA/LOA situation is a normal ascent?

In fact, in PADI's five responses to an OOA/LOA 1,3, and 5 are independent actions.

You have to read the questions carefully.

The list the responses of a low on air out of air with a normal ascent listed first. However you can't do a normal ascent if you are out of air. A normal ascent is for low on air and there's a test or quiz question that'll get you that way too.

novadiver:
Maybe what's really needed is a new agency dedicated solely for the training of solo divers.

Well, a new agency that's dedicated would be cool.

MikeFerrara:
Well, a new agency that's dedicated would be cool.

If it were mine , I would call it the National association of solo technical divers. or N.A.S.Ty divers. Now all I need is a magazine to advertise it in, and a suppermodel for the picture.
Is there anyone with a recomendation for these?

novadiver:
If it were mine , I would call it the National association of solo technical divers. or N.A.S.Ty divers. Now all I need is a magazine to advertise it in, and a suppermodel for the picture.
Is there anyone with a recomendation for these?

Radales would take on the advertising and if you would take on one of the TDI guys the'd probably do a bunch of articles.

For an agency called NASTy I would recommend some one like Ruth Buzzy for a model. You could use a slogan like...
"When you'd rather be alone"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom