Is "the first rule of Scubaboard is that you don't talk about Scubaboard?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If theres international shipping and patches, count me in :p

Dan, you are absolutely right about how some people can hide behind fake names to do things they wouldn't have the courage to do (or would have the integrity not to do) if everybody knew who they really were. However, the sad reality of today's world is that identifying oneself online can have problem consequences far beyond the realm of the forum where one does it.

There are lots of possible personal reasons to play it safe that have to do with real world security, and have nothing to do with using anonymity as a screen for bad behavior. That's why you don't know who I really am. I'll reveal my identity on a private board with a limited number of people whom I've had reason to come to trust, but never on an open forum like this one. Sad, but necessary.

wow, this is one of the sides of this that I hadn't thought of completely. I respect and support your need for privacy, just a sad commentary. I remember a post by Doppler alluding to being cautious about his posting out of concern of future liability, especially someone of his credentials. Things that make you hmmmm...

I run a local forum that requires full first name and lastname as login. Aliases are just not allowed. That does a good job of keeping a civilized level of discussion. Fortunately we have no liability issues here. I do however agree that on a forum like SB that may not be the best way to operate.
Another plus is that I know almost all participants on a personal basis and there are 100+ members at this moment.

Local boards are like a village ... everybody knows everybody and for the post part you're all friends.

ScubaBoard is like New York City ... there are some people who you don't want to know ... and who you don't want knowing you. It's the downside to being big ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Local boards are like a village ... everybody knows everybody and for the post part you're all friends.

ScubaBoard is like New York City ... there are some people who you don't want to know ... and who you don't want knowing you. It's the downside to being big ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And a lot like NYC there are always a lot of different types of shows running that you can chose to enjoy, or avoid here in SB too.

And a lot like NYC there are always a lot of different types of shows running that you can chose to enjoy, or avoid here in SB too.
Ya Rly! This is the Board that never sleeps. Anything you want to know about Scuba Diving is right here. Also, there are a number of things about Scuba Diving that you don't want to know that are here as well. We are anything but boring! :D Whatever happens on or off the water gets posted right here on ScubaBoard. I love it!

Ya Rly! This is the Board that never sleeps. Anything you want to know about Scuba Diving is right here. Also, there are a number of things about Scuba Diving that you don't want to know that are here as well. We are anything but boring! :D Whatever happens on or off the water gets posted right here on ScubaBoard. I love it!

Pretty much my thoughts. Anytime of the day or night you can stop in here and find something so suit your tastes, from educational to argumentative, and from general chat to buying or selling, and from researching what you want to know, to posting helpful information for others.

For sure ... which is why I spend so much time here. Reminds me of an Emerson, Lake and Palmer tune ...

Welcome back, my friends
to the show that never ends.
We're so glad you could attend!
Come inside! Come inside!

There behind a glass
stands a real blade of grass
be careful as you pass.
Move along! Move along!

Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart

Rest assured you'll get your money's worth
The greatest show it happens a hell-of-alot.

You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo.
You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll

Right before your eyes,
We'll pull laughter from the skies
And he laughs until he cries,
then he dies, then he dies

Come inside, the show's about to start
guaranteed to blow your head apart

You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo.
You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll

Soon the Gypsy Queen
in a glaze of Vaseline
Will perform on guillotine
What a scene! What a scene!
Next upon the stand
will you please extend a hand
to Alexander's Ragtime Band
Dixieland, Dixieland

Roll up! Roll up! Roll up!
See the show!

Performing on a stool
we've a sight to make you drool
Seven virgins and a mule
Keep it cool. Keep it cool.
We would like it to be known
the exhibits that were shown
were exclusively our own.
All our own. All our own.

Come and see the show!
Come and see the show!
Come and see the show!
See the show!
See the shoooowwwwwww!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I rarely mention SB. I have been blessed to meet great divers and instructors during my diving career. At the stage that I am at, I can normally differentiate the wheat from the shaft as to who I want to spend time, dive and/or train with and those are the individuals I will refer to folks who might benefit from such exposure. The only exceptions to that are when folks asked me where I got my canlight and I refered them to an individual on this board (as well as his website) who built it as a DIY project and sell various related products.

As others have mentionned, SB is like a very large city composed of different suburbs, some I visit more regularly than others either by choice, interest or permission granted. SB represents a wealth of information but it can be and is very opiniated at times (more often than not). Let me rephrase that...SB represents a wealth of differing opinions which can be very confusing to say the least, especially to a newbie who, in all likelihood has no clue as to who's who in the zoo and comes here for advice.

Aliases/anonymity. I am also part of local diving forums where full names are used. It is probably simpler at such a level when most people within a specific community tend to know each other or have met before. I think the nice things this does though is credibility first plus the fact that it helps moderating those forums. Not being able to hide behind an alias certainly ''encourage'' certain individuals to adopt a more acceptable behavior and still defend their differing opinion without reverting to personal attack or comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom