Is the Shearwater Petrel too much?advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mowles

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am and will likely always be a recreational diver. Looking for a new computer that I could keep for life.

My search led me to the Shearwater Petrel and there is a lot I like about it. The display, customization, free mac interface, interchangeable battery (may still be using my old Aladin if I could have changed the battery).
Clearly too much of a computer for me as I won't do tech diving... but then I am the type to do some reading and understand what's under the hood so I may learn something.

Some may argue that a computer is not even needed for recreational dives but I like the control and autonomy it gives. Made me focus on slower ascents for instance, which makes a difference for multiple dives.

Am I looking at it the wrong way? Any other recommendations? Looking forward to your thoughts.

It makes more sense to spend that kind of money on a computer you will never outgrow and is as easy to use as the Shearwater than on one with gimmicks like transmitters, heart monitors, etc. you can't go wrong with it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have one, it's an awesome computer! Very well made, nice bluetooth interface, easy to read, and the battery situation is much better than the Predator. It is a bit complex, but if you are diving it you will get used to the displays. However, lots of that information isn't necessary for recreational air diving, and you can get a perfectly usable dive computer for a third that price, less if you buy it used.

I'm not sure what you mean by control and autonomy. Unless you are doing multiple gas mixes / trimix, or changing algorithms, the extra features of the Petrel are probably not going to be useful for you. Most entry level computers these days will let you set your nitrox mix at the beginning of the dive. It does have an ascent rate visual graph, but again, that's a pretty common feature on less expensive computers.

I would also recommend that you work on depth awareness and not depend on your computer to tell you how fast you are ascending. While you are right that a computer is not needed for recreational dives, it is actually very useful for recreational dives, in that it gives you "credit" for time spent above your maximum depth, so you get a more realistic (and longer) non-deco time compared to square profile tables. A computer is not meant to be a device to slow your ascent rate... (FYI, tech training emphasizes even less dependance on a computer than recreational training - many instructors don't allow them)

Safe diving!

Mike

Mowles,

While I would never say the Petrel is too much computer for recreational diving, I might suggest that there are better suited computers for most recreational divers. IMHO right now the Atomic Cobalt is one of the most user friendly recreational dive computers on the market today. This past week I saw two of them on sale on ScubaBoard for less than a new Petrel, but you will not see many of them, nor the Petrel as both are great computers and most owners do not want to give them up.

The Petrel is an awesome computer and I use mine almost on every dive...right now I am doing more tech style diving than recreational style diving. With the type of diving I am currently doing, I put a lot of time into my per-dive planning; especially into my gas (air) management plan (there are are a lot calculations that most recreational divers do not consider when per-dive planning). Based on my per-dive plan, I will monitor my actual dive accordingly. The Petrel is awesome for this monitoring. What most recreational divers will not like about this style of diving is that the computer is not "air integrated" meaning that I can not monitor my air consumption nor tank pressure via the computer, I still use a small pressure gauge.

The Atomic Cobalt on the other hand is designed for the recreational diver and connects to the high pressure port of your 1st stage. So you know air/gas pressure, water temp, depth, compass heading, time of dive, no deco time with a quick glance. This computer hands down was the easiest computer to learn and gave the most comprehensive log information I have ever used. To this day I love my Cobalt. If I had any reservations about the computer was that it does not come in a wrist mounted version...at least not yet as that I know Atomic is working on that version now.

To answer your question with a qualifier is YES...the Petrel is worth the money, but you really need to like to do your own dive management to a significant higher level than most recreational divers prefer to do. If you are looking for a great general dive computer than I highly recommend the Atomic Cobalt. If you want the convenience of a small wrist mount computer, I would wait for Atomic's wrist version to come out (maybe it will next week at the DEMA trade show) or look into something like the Galileo or one of Suunto's air intregrated wrist dive watches.

Good luck with your search and happy bubbles.

~Oldbear~

Looking for a new computer that I could keep for life.

This is no more possible with dive computers than it is with home/laptop computers.

I am the type to do some reading and understand what's under the hood so I may learn something.

Read Mark Powell's 'Deco for Divers'. You'll probably need a few read throughs. That'll lead you to find and read his numerous referenced articles.

That'll set you up to run the Petrel safely, with some control over what you're asking the machine to do for you and an understanding of why..

Am I looking at it the wrong way? Any other recommendations? Looking forward to your thoughts.

If you'll enjoy the learning involved with using the machine, coupled with the feedback it'll give you, then why not?

Just be wary that computers like the Petrel can hurt you if you don't know what you're doing..

The Petrel is excellent. The only thing better than a Petrel is Shearwater's Customer Service. I managed to acheive actually flooding a Petrel. I phoned Shearwater Research in Canada, and despite their intial disbelief (What did you do to flood it??) before you know it they overnighted me a new one. I had a new computer in my had before my backup Petrel was fully desaturated. How they do that I don't know, but I do love the product.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will give the Petrel a try then... will let you know how we get along after a few dives.
Until then, "Deco for divers" is on the way.
-Mowles

Is it great = yes
is it overkill for a recreational diver = YES
The petrel is a great computer. Just like a Ferrari is a great sports car. If you are just a recreational diver, you can find lots of other computers that will fit your needs for way less money. Ebay has lots of used computers in the $200 and under range. You should be able to buy new for less than $300.

But (like a Ferrari) if you can afford it, then go ahead and enjoy.

P.s. send me your old aladin....

My rebreather (Prism 2) uses the Predator and I absolutely love it! I'm looking into getting the Petrel too as a backup as I am starting to get into deeper mixed gas dives. I have nothing bad to say about Shearwater. Their product is amazing and have outstanding customer service. I had a problem with a new download and the VP of Sales emailed me the same day with the solution. As Chauncey Chapman would say, "it does everything except cook toast."

Started out with the Atomic Cobalt - wanted to move away from hose integrated, so went to a Galileo Sol, but was not impressed with the screen readability at depth. Given that coupled with my desire to get more into technical diving, gas planning, etc - I went to the Petrel and LOVE it! Easy to read, easy to change on the fly, simple to operate and easy to download to their SW or to my Mac SW (Divelog DT). Wouldn't trade it for anything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom