Is the SMC-1 so much better than

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Competing brands like INON, Weefine, and subsee, Aquatica?

Im OK with paying when it's worth it.

I have a canon 5dmk ii and Canon 100mm L lens.

I need a diopter because I'm routinely reaching or going beyond the minimum focusing distance.

Is the SMC-1 worth it's price compared to others?

Thank you.

The SMC-1 is bigger than the equivalent Inon UCL 67 lens. When paired with the Nauticam single flip on the Nauticam A1 housing, it will knock into and mark the housing if you flip vertically up. Likewise it will knock into the housing when paired with the Nauticam double flip. The lens does not knock into the housing only when used with the single flip in horizontal orientation. Your mileage may differ with different housings.

I have owned SMC1, Subsee, Moby and Aquako lenses on Canon 100mm lenses (EF then RF).
The SMC1 was the best so far, absolutely free from chromatic aberrations, contrasty with a larger range of focus than the others which makes it much easier and flexible to use.

Never used Inon nor AOI macro lenses but had very good reports from friends photogs.

With a 100mm and the Smc1, what length subject will fill the frame from side to side? Thanks

With a 100mm and the Smc1, what length subject will fill the frame from side to side? Thanks
First off I am using a cropped sensor camera (7D, 70D and now R7) not a FF, hence I will fill my frame with smaller subjects than with a full frame camera.

Secondly I haven't really measured the subjects underwater, I used to carry 2 lenses like SMC1 and a Moby Noodilab and change whenever i came across a specific critter. I would screw on the SMC1 for nudis or shrimp in the 8mm-15mm range or pull out the Moby for subjects under 7-8mm.
The SMC1 focus range gives you flexibility hence I would say you can shoot subjet of various sizes in the length I mentioned.
If that can give you an idea it will be perfect for crinoid shrimps, juvenile shrimps (the smaller tiger shrimps for instance) or blue/yellow costasiella, however still not magnifyng enough for isopods nor small trapanias or siphopterons.

Compared to other lenses it's more powerful in terms of magnification than the Subsee 10 but very marginally less powerful than the Aquako IV (though much better optically).

on a full frame camera and the 100/105 macro lens, a subject about 18 mm (3/4 inch) will fill the frame
Bill

Reactions: CWK
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom