Is the the Light Cannon that much better than the C8?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V:
Great, thanks. I bought my BC, computer and a bunch of other stuff from Larry. I am always pleased with their service. If it's worth the upgrade, I'll buy it from them.

Billy

I have nothing against Leisure Pro. I have bought several items from them with no problems. I buy all life support equipment from my LDS. They treat me well and provide excellent service. I live in Massachusetts so I order from them using regular UPS ground delivery and I get it the next day. Leisure Pro in in New York city.

If you don't like Leisure Pro, Scuba Toys will match the Leisure Pro price. I just recently bought some small items from Scuba Toys and they were very pleasant to deal with. I ordered mid-afternoon on the east coast and they still got it shipped out the same day even though there is only a 1 hour time difference.

I bought my light canon from ScubaToys. Very good people to work with. With their SB discount, tax savings, and fair S&H prices, I cancelled my original order from Scuba.com that wasn't going to make it on time, had the LC shipped next day from ScubaToys, and ended up paying about $5 more, and got to take my light with me on a dive trip! Excellent service. Will be shopping with them again.

First of all ScubaToys will usually meet LeisurePro prices so ask about that before deciding where to buy.

As for the light canon i can't imagine wanting one. My parents owned 2 and they could never get both running at the same time. Seemed real fragile, crappy battery life, and not that much brighter than other hand held lights. I have the C8 LED and the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED and love them. The Shockwave is very bright, durable as all hell, and batteries last forever. My parents have now upgraded to Shockwaves.

If you don't want to go for a can light then i don't see many up sides to a light canon over similar size LED lights, and lots of down sides. Obviously some people haven't had problems but i've never had any good first hand experience with the canon.

I dunno i've used the C8 and shockwave on night and day dives in Monterey and they are both plenty of light...and i don't want to dive anyplace that gets murkier than Monterey can get. Light canons are brighter (and different color), but not like the difference in a can light. 21W can lights are so bright they seem kinda worthless for night dives. They scare anything away the minute you get the light near them. Maybe you get good at not aiming right at critters or something. Anyway the LED lights are plenty bright to flood an area with light. If you want a concentrated light to signal etc with then you'd need a can light. The light canon is a flood light not a light saber.

Empty V:
Larry does rock and met all of leisure pro's pricing. I'm concerned about light output. An HID should put out multiple times the amount of light as the C8, I'm not sure how the LED stacks up though, it's not a very expensive "upgrade" is thats what it is.

That's the thing about LED, the Shockwave only used 3 LED's (Luxeon III), but there is another one on the market which is using high output 7 LED's and it outshined the 10W HID for a bit, cost-wise it's like a canister because it's a caniser light.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146431

Depends on what you want. I have one of the first Light Cannons made. It has around 150 dives on it, has been banged around on the hard bottom of the Cooper River, accidentally knocked against the limestone walls of several caves, and even lent to AOW students in murky quarries, and it's still on the original bulb. I run it with 5000 mah NIMH C batteries, get over 4 hours per charge. I own several C8 halogen lights, but seldom use them anymore. Also own an 18w HID cannister for cave diving. And a Shockwave eLED, which has white color and is more than bright enough for night reef dives.

So, despite all the LC bashing on this board, I still love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom