Is the US Navy banning diving on Military wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reference to diving in the proposed rule is “Non-intrusive activities including diving adjacent to or remotely documenting sites do not require a permit or authorization from the NHHC though this does not preclude the obligation to obtain permits or other authorizations otherwise required by law.” Being stated in the Executive Summary, it will not be part of the final regulation.

Somewhat related: US Navy divers to visit wreck of USS Houston in Indonesia | Fox News

Here on Okinawa we frequently dive the wreck of the USS Emmons, a destroyer minesweeper damaged by kamikaze planes then sunk by the Navy during the battle of Okinawa in 1945. If anything, the constant doting by active duty military recreational and tec divers on Okinawa has benefitted the wreck more than harmed it. You can dive the Emmons and find plenty of small items that would be easily pilfered, but are still there out of respect. We do an annual memorial dive on the anniversary of the sinking. We're in close contact with and have the blessing of the Emmons Association--the stateside group of veteran survivors of the sinking and their families. Right now access to the Emmons is pretty easy. I'd hate to see it restricted for US citizens. The way I read the legislation, it doesn't apply to non-US citizens.

RE the "any person, anywhere in the world" comment in the newsletter, I thought that currently all governments had reciprocal agreements to look after the wreck of foreign navy's vessels in their national waters. If that is the case, the US Navy or US law wouldn't apply abroad it would be the local governments law that applies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drbill,

The thing to remember is that these wrecks are considered tombs. Much in the same way that soldiers and other service men are laid to rest in national cemeteries. The way I would look at this law it is a way to prevent grave robbery and at the very least irresponsible divers.

However, I will agree that the proposed change as I read it was very flawed, and should be more specific as to what constitutes disturbing the site. A great way to look at many of these wrecks is much in the same way the USS Arizona is viewed. It is a permenant way to remember the brave men that went down with their ship. To remove them would be disrespectful. You also have to understand of the military services I would say that the Navy is perhaps the most superstitious, and it is just plain bad luck to disturb a sunken wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom