Is there a best way to mark your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, bear with me on this... I can't remember how they're called:
Would those plastic strips that you pass through a punch-type machine that "types" the text you want (or embosses, whatever) be "sticky enough?

They seem fairly resilient on land...

If I remember the name, I'll edit this post...

I'm actually very interested in this thread, as I just got my brand new gear... It's MINE...ALLLL MINE!!!

abitton:
OK, bear with me on this... I can't remember how they're called:
Would those plastic strips that you pass through a punch-type machine that "types" the text you want (or embosses, whatever) be "sticky enough?

They seem fairly resilient on land...

If I remember the name, I'll edit this post...

I'm actually very interested in this thread, as I just got my brand new gear... It's MINE...ALLLL MINE!!!

I have used those before without the super glue. They work for a while but they are high profile and the writing tends to wear off fairly quickly.......or a least the color wears off. The labels are flat and fit nicely inside things like dive lights and the like. Some of my equipment has had the original labels on them for years.

I bought "Ultra Green Glow in the dark" paint and painted the lower half of my tank. Not only do I consider it "marked" but I can be Seen at depth easier. Works well!!

I used to use a good method my old dog taught me...but after a few complaints.....

Hank49:
I used to use a good method my old dog taught me...but after a few complaints.....

Well there's that and it washes off and has to be reapplied after every dive.

Hank49:
You must be confused. That's how you're supposed to mark your wetsuit, but it doesn't work nearly as well on other things like tanks.

-Rob

I'm a big fan of silver & black Sharpies. They will mark on just about anything. If I own it, it has initials in it - spools, dive lights, tanks, wing, gloves, boots, fins... I'm surprised my initials aren't on my wife.

And wife comment notwithstanding, I'm continually amazed at what surfaces you can find to write initials on. Next time my regs are in for servicing, I'm going to put my initials inside the environmental seal on my DS4's.

kabluton:
Anyone have tips on putting your name on your equipment so it doesn't get mixed up and/or lost? The first place I took instruction from had us put 3 unique colors of electrical tape on our stuff but I don't really like that method too much. The last trip I was on I somehow left my $189 fins on the boat but luckily some honest person turned them in to the lost and found and I recovered them the next day. It would have been nice to have my name and maybe address on them somehow.
I too use the DAN tags (plastic) with our name and phone number on them. Honest people and dive operations will be able to get back to you...with dishonest people, it doesn't matter how you mark your stuff :-(

Paul in VT
just back from Belize :)

I have used the Brother P-Touch labeler and it works well. It prints under the vinyl and is durable. The problem is whether it will stick. Must be a smooth, non-flexible spot. You can also roll it over itself on a round hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom