Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually there are a number of ways to go to Cuba legally. One of my dive buddies did just that a year ago, and got several dives in. There are organized educational, scientific and cultural exchange trips that are perfectly legal for Americans to go to Cuba with.

Our policy towards Cuba is an absurdity in my mind. We could have opened up that country just through such visits IMHO.

I've also heard of people getting a second passport somehow and having that one stamped instead of their main one.

drbill:
Actually there are a number of ways to go to Cuba legally. One of my dive buddies did just that a year ago, and got several dives in. There are organized educational, scientific and cultural exchange trips that are perfectly legal for Americans to go to Cuba with.

Our policy towards Cuba is an absurdity in my mind. We could have opened up that country just through such visits IMHO.

It CERTAINLY IS an absurdity!!!

I never heard of such programs... I might just have to look into that! I'd like to get there before the cruise ships do, which will likely happen after Castro kicks the bucket and Cuba is finally open to us.

fly to Miami, float over to Cuba on a makeshift raft, and ask for political asylum...

I've seen Yanks go to mexico (near Cancun) by road and then take a flight to Cuba, hoping they would not stamp their passeport. Then, they would fly back to Mexico and up north by car. The cubans are friendly people and they wont give a hard time to americans who are respectfull, which is the case for now cause the only one going are real travelers.

But Lisa is right, after Castro's gone, cruise ships and giant condos and hotels will appear and it will never be the same.

Very nice diving and hiking there. Landscape is fabulous. Hope it will stay that way.

Lisa0825:
I've also heard of people getting a second passport somehow and having that one stamped instead of their main one.

The second passport would have to be from a third country. Wouldn't be an easy process unless you already had dual citizenship.

Plainsong,
The fact is, there used to be a lot of loopholes in the legislation that could be exploited, but this embargo has been in place for a long time and I don't think it has ever been any tighter than it is now.

In any event, the law is what the law is, and going would be illegal. If you choose to take your chances, do so with the knowledge that you could receive a decent fine and perhaps some other inconveniences.

I am no great fan of laws limiting the movements of our citizens, but like the others have said, this isn't likely to change until el Presidente kicks the bucket.

It's actually legal for US citizens to travel to Cuba. A big inhibitor is that we can't give any money to a Cuban. This includes for, AFAIK, things like meals or lodging. The way around it is to prepay for everything thru a Canadian or Mexican tour operator, either of whom could help arrange a trip for you. Take a look to the US State Dept. web site which I believe has info about travel to Cuba.

yknot:
It's actually legal for US citizens to travel to Cuba. A big inhibitor is that we can't give any money to a Cuban. This includes for, AFAIK, things like meals or lodging. The way around it is to prepay for everything thru a Canadian or Mexican tour operator, either of whom could help arrange a trip for you. Take a look to the US State Dept. web site which I believe has info about travel to Cuba.

I believe that loophole was closed in 2004, but check to verify. Going this route makes it harder to prove that an exchange took place, but I am pretty sure the legislation was modified to say that this is a prohibited method.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sanctions/cubatrav.pdf

I'm looking into this. (I have an American passport) I hear you can go out of Mexico and as someone mentioned, they won't stamp your passport going in or out of Cuba. Great food, good times from what I hear ....and cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom