Is there a reel capable of holding 250ft of 3/16 line or thicker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to make an anchor system for my kayak. I would like to use a reel as i can attach the reel to the kayak and drop anchor or take the reel with me while diving to tow the kayak.

If anyone knows of a reel capable of holding 250-300ft of 3/16 to 1/4 inch line let me know.

That is what i am looking for although i do prefer something with more metal than plastic.

Have you tried one of these reels. Any complaints?

Any idea what size line a wreck reel comes equipped with. It has to be able to hold my kayak in the ocean with about a 5-7lb mushroom anchor.

Here are a couple hundred to choose from-metal ones.

The thread that's on there isn't very big, but it is tough. A buddy of mine will float a lift bag the reel up to 15 ft, clip on, and dump the bc and just sit back. He lets the bag and line hold him at 15 ft for his safety stop. Not that he's that heavy, but in a good swell and me holding his shoulder strap the line gets tugged pretty well and hasn't broken yet.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Not that he's that heavy, but in a good swell and me holding his shoulder strap the line gets tugged pretty well and hasn't broken yet.

You are a divemaster and you have to hold on to someone for your safety stop?

Sounds like your buddy needs some buoyancy practice too. The up line is not a substitute for buyancy control.:wacko:

lal7176 once bubbled...
That is what i am looking for although i do prefer something with more metal than plastic.

Have you tried one of these reels. Any complaints?

I have been using both the small and large versions of this reel for the last couple months. I bought mine at the LDS who got them from Trident. Trident quotes them as having 150' and 250' of line respectively. The line appears to be #36 on the smaller reel and #48 on the larger reel.

I had avoided using any type of largely plastic reel until now on the basis that an all aluminum reel had to be stronger. I started using them to tow a dive flag as doing it with my more conventional metal reels was a bit of a pain. I towed someone else's flag with one of these reels and liked it enough to make the minimal investment. To be honest despite low expectations I am very impressed with them. They are idiot proof and are much harder to tangle than my more traditionally designed reels. I was initially concerned that they cannot be disassembled under water to clear a jam but this is not a really serious concern as they have never jammed. To be on the safe side however I removed 50ft of line from each reel just to make it a little less likely to run the line off the edge of the reel.

They are very durable and well made and have sttod up well to diving in mid 40 degree water. Whatever plastic they use seemed to be more than up to the task. I'm still not sure I'd take them into a wreck but I have no qualms about recommending them for towing a flag or kayak. I'd get the big one though. I started wioth the small one and gravitated to the larger one as it reels the line in quicker (about 1 ft per turn) and is better suited to flag towing type work. I suspect it would hold an adequate amount of 1/8" or 3/16 line for kayak diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom