Is there a signal for "Out of no-stop time"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel1948

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The thread title basically says it all. I know the signal for "Out of air," and the signal for "I want to ascend," and I know how to indicate my remaining air pressure.

But is there a specific signal for "I'm getting low on remaining no-decompression time."? Or do you just signal an ascent? I know that I can call the dive at any time for any reason, no questions asked. But if we are at 60 feet and I'm down to 3 or 4 minutes of no-stop time, ascending to 40 feet will be enough to give us a bit more time, as opposed to signaling an end to the dive. Assuming the location has something interesting at the shallower depth.

So a "Low on no-stop time" signal could lead to different response than merely "I want to surface." I don't remember being taught such a signal.

I don't know of any specific signal, but you could always carry a slate or wet notes

Get your dive buddy's attention. Tap on your watch or computer. Signal thumbs up for time to end the dive.

Similar to Ted -

Tap computer. Give fingers for number of minutes remaining. Give either 'ascend' (thumb up)and 'level off' (move hand side to side, palm down) or 'come up' (repeat lifting flat hand, palm up) if I'm already higher than them.

Put your open hand on top of your head, palm down and rotate your hand clockwise. Shows your buddy you now have a deco ceiling approaching. If you have a deco ceiling already use the same signal followed by indicating the number of minutes with the number of fingers you hold out.

I tend to signal for ascent - then another signal for "a little" - they usually get the idea. You can always come up with your own signal and brief it before the dive - always a good idea anyway.

But is there a specific signal for "I'm getting low on remaining no-decompression time."? Or do you just signal an ascent?
Just my opinion:

Well, I'm sure you are planning your dive with your buddy in advance, not just jumping in with no discussion of depth and time. So, both you and your buddy will already know when you are getting close to turn time. There should never be a surprise when you suddenly look down at your computer and discover you're out of time, IMHO.

If a mistake is made and it does happen, a turn signal or a thumb will do nicely, followed by a discussion of dive planning and awareness on the surface.

Again, JMHO.

Well said, Rick.

Remember, if you thumb the dive, it doesn't really matter. If you're getting close to your NDL, presumably your dive buddy is too so just giving the up signal should really do it.

Jeff

I discuss the time when I will ascend with my buddy so it should not be a surprise when he or I signal to ascend. Usually we are within a few minutes of each other anyway if it is a dive that goes close to NDL (there are variations if one of us has been a few metres above the other, or if I am diving with someone who has a different computer). However, on some dives we have multiple plans for ascent depending on whether we reach our minimum gas, our NDL time or our runtime given to the boat as sometimes they can be fairly similar and it is hard to say which will come first. So if we are getting close to our runtime I will make a T shape with my hand and signal ascend, for close to NDL I raise my pinkie and then signal ascend , if I want to move shallower but not end the dive I do the thumbs up but put my other hand over it like a ceiling. For turning based on air pressure I put two fingers on one hand over my other palm and signal to ascend.

Anyway, these signals aren't really necessary as if one of us signals to ascend we don't need to know why, just that we need to ascend, but it is nice to know :) Also it is only with regular buddies that I use these as they are custom hand signals we've made (along with heaps of others that we've made up over time). I find that with non-regular buddies I just make it clear that if I signal thumbs up, it means I want to ascend and don't want to have a discussion about it if they disagree. I find trying to explain a bunch of hand signals to a non-regular buddy is pointless as most people seem to only be able to learn a few hand signals at a time so I stick to well-known ones and honestly haven't had many issues doing this.

I agree. Out of no-stop time should never be a surprise. Likewise, what to do when it arrives should never be a surprise. Nonetheless, you may need to alert your buddy to the fact it has arrived. I would simply point to my watch or my eyes and them my watch. If that did not do the trick, I'd thumb the dive as I would figure something was really out of sorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom