Is there any extra concerns with divers who have HIV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
For Anyone who might know?

scubainspired:

Go to www.scuba-doc.com

Use the search feature for the site and put in HIV. There were links to several articles.

One thing that may be an issue is exposure to various microrganisms that would cause problems for a person who is immuno suprressed.

I have no direct knowledge of this, but while elevated oxygen pressures help with other health issues, it is always possible that it could be detrimental to one with HIV. Also, perhaps this should be moved to the diving medicine forum.

DepartureDiver:
I have no direct knowledge of this, but while elevated oxygen pressures help with other health issues, it is always possible that it could be detrimental to one with HIV. Also, perhaps this should be moved to the diving medicine forum.

What is your rationale for saying this?

Jim

DepartureDiver:

While not a doctor, I am an EMT and a Combat Lifesaver, and this goes against everything I've known or understood about HIV. HIV simply impacts your imune system making you seceptable to other forms of virisis. I really wouldnt see how diving could or would affect a person with HIV in the slightest. I see now reason at all why a person with HIV can not dive just as anyone else.

I brought this up since it would be an occurance during every dive. I also know of no reason, but some things are counterintuitive and until something is shown to be safe or not, assumptions should not be made. It is always possible that increased oxygen pressures and free radicals could have some sort of unforeseen impact.

scubainspired:

For divers with HIV while diving I don't think there are other special concerns. I'm not a doctor though. The main concern for divers with HIV is to practice safer sex by always using latex condoms correctly even with a partner who is also HIV positive. Stay healthy. Check out www.thebody.com for more info.

Well of course one should ask the additional question, "Are there any concerns for diving WITH divers with HIV".
This would fall into 2 categories:
a) would you have any concern buddy breathing with an HIV positive buddy?
and
b) would you need to monitor with extra attention an HIV positive buddy? Say for increased narcosis susceptibility or anything else?

In the case of (a) saliva is not supposed to be a contaminant but on the other hand some hard rubber regulator mouthpieces can scratch gums - could this be a transfer vector?

DepartureDiver:
I brought this up since it would be an occurance during every dive. I also know of no reason, but some things are counterintuitive and until something is shown to be safe or not, assumptions should not be made. It is always possible that increased oxygen pressures and free radicals could have some sort of unforeseen impact.

I doubt free radicals would really make a difference, free radicals are dangerous because they steal electrons from nucleic acid and can cause a mis-read during translation or duplication.
I think the big risk to HIV would be that of infection if you were to scratch yourself.. as for transmission through buddy sharing, I doubt it and unless they have a long-hose configuration, you would have the octo...which really hasn't been used. I was thinking that salt water could have some disinfecting properties...but I don't think that applys to viruses.

Back
Top Bottom