Is this a weight problem? or am I close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be way off base here, so please comment...

I notice a couple people saying something like, "I can't wait until the day that I am down 4 lbs. like you", "I can't even imagine getting down that low".

Ok that got me thinking (which is dangerous sometimes). Does a BP/wing set-up weigh more than a jacket BC? I am thinking that the BP (especially a SS one) actually counts for a bit of weight that doesn't need to go on your weight belt.

Is this true? So instead of adding lead, your BC is naturally heavier just due to the type?

If so, it may not be completely possible to get down to that magic weight number unless you change gear.

DBailey:

I notice a couple people saying something like, "I can't wait until the day that I am down 4 lbs. like you", "I can't even imagine getting down that low".

Ok that got me thinking (which is dangerous sometimes). Does a BP/wing set-up weigh more than a jacket BC? I am thinking that the BP (especially a SS one) actually counts for a bit of weight that doesn't need to go on your weight belt.

Is this true? So instead of adding lead, your BC is naturally heavier just due to the type?

If so, it may not be completely possible to get down to that magic weight number unless you change gear.
You are not offbase....You are correct (typical SS BP is 6 lbs.)

DBailey:

YUPPERS...

There is not really any appreciable weight built into a typical BC given the materials used are typically close to neutral. Now a BP can provide as much as 6 or 7 pounds of stainless steel. This does 2 things for you 1) takes weight off of your belt and redistributes it as fixed weight (you seill have the weight it is just someplace else) and 2) distributes the weight evenly over your back which enables you to more easily trim yourself for a good horizontal attitude in the water.

You still have the weight but you are really adjusting how you carry it.

Actually many of the bc's on the market are buoyant requireing you to need more weight.

IIRC, some BC's are actually heavier (dry weight on land) than a BP/Wings, up to 9#, but its not too noticible, most are about the same weight (6# for SS) and a few are lighter. Underwater due to its higher density it acts as a source of weight in a good place. SS BP's can range from 5-18# from what i have seen (thicker plates = more heavy), AL BP's are 1-2# and most BC's are positively buoyant to some degree due to all the padding.

Now if i consider my SS BP in my weighting and neglect that, i can say i only wear 2# fresh and 8# salt in my weight belt - oh look i am getting closer to those magic numbers already - but i count the BP weight too, hence 8/14# :wink:

Back
Top Bottom