Is this good gear/a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris is the sister company to Oceanic. The AT 400 Pro is the Aeris version of the CDX5 first stage and a Delta 3 second stage. I have two CDX5's and both have done well for me over the past four or so years. Both were recently refitted with new HP seats due to the recall that both companies issued. One reg still had a problem and when my LDS tech called Oceanic about it the response was 'send it to us'. It's back, and so far is running fine. I personally have not used either an AT400 or Delta 3 second stage, but many buddies of mine use the Delta 3 and very much like it. I do not know anyone who uses the AT 400 version so I cannot comment on it. The Gyro octo is Aeris' version of the Oceanic swivel octo. I own three of the Swivel. Very small, lies flat and does not have an 'up' or 'down' position when donating in an OOA situation, it works in any orientation. These octos, due to some mechanics in the design, do seem to be a bit more finicky and require a bit more tuning than a standard design octo.
At one point I had an Aeris computer but did not like it. It was not as adjustable (in terms of setting limits, alarms etc) as I would have liked. Also, the battery seemed to die very quickly, and usually with about 10 seconds of warning. I still own that computer, but now it's only around as a back up to a back up.
Many of the postings have advised you to shop around before you plunk down that kind of money. I agree. There is a ton of good equipment out there from many good manufacturers. For BC's there is Sherwood, Oceanic, Seaquest among many others within the jacket style. There are also back-inflate types like the Scubapro Knighthawk as well as the more modular BC's like the Dive Rite Trans Pac, OMS IQ pac and the true backplate/wing styles from Dive Rite, OMS, Halcyon and Deep Sea Supply.
Some of what has been mentioned is great advice. Shop around, compare, try as many different brands/styles etc as you can before you decide. Talk about what kind of diving you want to do with folks at different LDS if possible. Ultimately you will be the one diving this gear, so you should be comfortable with your choices. And with the cost of gear,it will probably be with you for a while!!

Good luck with finding the right set of gear!

Hank

if you HAVE to ask the board...you are not ready to buy. Plus, why get a "free" nitrox class? Do you really feel the need for nitrox? Why are you spending more for a computer than the most Important piece of gear a diver needs?

I have to agree with the advice already given - go out and rent different types of gear. My perceptions of my "dream set-up" are very different now than what it was when I was freshly certified.

For advice on regs it depends on what type of diving you are doing - particularly if you are doing cold water diving (temps less than 5 celisus or 41 F). For temperatures such as these you want regs designed so they won't freeze up (usually diaphragm with heat sink). You might want want to look at this wikipedia article to see the different types of regulators and how they work - link. Personally I am a cold water diver, so I see brands like Apeks, ScubaPro, Atomic, and Oceanic being used most often.

Definitely try many styles of BCD's out before you settle on one. I certified on a standard oceanic jacket style BCD , and when I tried back inflate there was a big difference - I liked it much better! By the way, if anyone says these things push your face into the surface of the water they overfill their BCD. This started me into researching other types of BCD's and I settled on a DSS (Deep Sea Supply) BP/W (Back Plate with Wing). The reasons for this were simple. I could take a load of weight off my belt since the plate was stainless steel and you can bolt on more weight to the plate too. They are very comfortable because the hog harness is very minimalistic, nothing presses against your front or sides. Lastly because a BP/W is very versatile. You can easily change anything about your rig, and if you ever want to dive with doubles you will want one of these! Oh, I almost forgot about price as well - in my area a DSS BP/W is cheaper then entry level jacket BCD's!

Tobin from Deep Sea Supply runs a great business and is very knowledgeable. If you send him a message on this board he will take care of you, such great customer service! I am extremely pleased with my purchase from him.

That Atmos LX is a great BCD, I have the predeseccor of it the AtmosXT and I love it. They managed to improve it with the improved wieght pouches. As for the computer, I have the Oceanic VTpro, which has the same interface and software, but I avoided the Atmos AI because I wanted to dump that HP hose. I would recommend you do the same and get the wrist mounted, wireless, console type as well.

I don't know anything about the Aeris Regulators, but given that they are owned by the same company as Oceanic and they make some excellent regs (at least according to the US CoastGaurd) I am sure that the Aeris versions are going to be fine. Personnally, I dive Zeagle regs, specifically- the DS-V with ZX primary with Envoy Octo and I love them. According to ScubaLabs numbers they perform very well. The issue with Zeagle is outside the US, I have been told that authorized service is hard to find.

I personally would not spend that kind of money on that setup. For that kind of money and less, you have a huge number of other choices.

It's really hard to say, since we don't know anything about you or your diving, and you don't say what made you choose these particular items.

Lots of folks will say jackets are bad or you should get a BP/W. Neither is a very useful recommendation by itself, you need to understand the features of any of the choices and why YOU would like them or not. And fit is all-important.

Lots of folks will say computers are useless, and others say they're required. Some say avoid wireless AI, others say you have to have it. Etc. etc. These are not very useful tips either. Computers of various styles are loved by many people and not the thing for others. What's more important is the pros and cons and how they work for you.

No idea if the "roller duffel" is worth the price you're paying for it, or not. Nitrox is a good thing to learn about whether you decide to use it or not. Certainly nothing wrong with them throwing in a "free" Nitrox class, if it's actually a good deal overall. It's a way to give you something of a higher perceived value to you than it costs them, and maybe indirectly give you a better price on something they can't normally discount.

Atmos lx bcd $485.96
AT 400 Pro Reg 404.96
Gyro Octo 125.96
atmos ai with compass and qd 719.96
roller duffel free
nitrox class and crew pack free
tax:138.95
total:1935.77
the BCD and computer are NOT changing, but all else can. is this any good?

My question to you is where you plan on diving and your body type. This is a good, solid package for a recreational diver, going to warm water 2-4 times a year and some diving around home. If you are planning on diving more than 100 times per year, or thinking about technical diving, this isn't the setup for you. Otherwise, I think that it will work well for you. It isn't "cheap" but it isn't the top of the line either. This will be better than anything you would ever rent.

Atmos LX BCD: Great BCD with a lot of lift. Ideal if you are going back and forth between warm and cold water. I like that you can mount a light and knife to this BC easily. Ask the dealer about the "package" that you can get with it that includes retractor, knife and light.

AT 400 Pro Regulator: This is a good regulator. It is balanced and easy to breath off of. It has the DVT system that prevents water from going into the first stage which is a plus. I would prefer an Atomic Z2 as a first regulator, but that is my preference. My sister dives this regulator in 45-85 degree water with no issues. I think you will like this regulator.

Gyro Octo: It is an Octopus and it is fine. I think most recreational divers are fine with the Aeris A1, but the Gyro moves a bit easier and in an emergency, it could be easier to use.

Atmos AI: Excellent computer, and smart move going with the QD. I have dove with a wrist unit and I don't like it. This is a very easy computer to use. You will like having an air intergrated system. Make sure you attach it to your BCD with an retractor. As for service, it has a 2 year warranty and you can change the battery easily yourself.

I have the roller duffel and love it. With that package, Aeris includes it for free and it is a great bag to travel with. It is amazing everything you can get into that bag.

Something else to think about: Ask about their service department. It sounds like they will do all the servicing in-house which is good but ask about turn around time and cost.

If you like the store and feel the staff is treating you right, go for it. You could probably get the items cheaper from an on line dealer. However, the fact that they are throwing in a free nitrox class and crew pack, makes it a great deal. Again, I don't know what kind of diver you are, but I think it is a great setup.

I went down to sdi scuba in huntsville al, and made out "dream" equipment package, with 10 percentt off the retail price, which follows.

Atmos lx bcd $485.96
AT 400 Pro Reg 404.96
Gyro Octo 125.96
atmos ai with compass and qd 719.96
roller duffel free
nitrox class and crew pack free
tax:138.95
total:1935.77
the BCD and computer are NOT changing, but all else can. is this any good?

Leisure Pro:
Atmos LX BCD - $299.95
AT 400 - $379.95 (AT 400 DVT - $429.95)
Aeris Atmos AI Air Integrated Computer Console, Compass & Quick Dis $539.95

Could have looked around a wee bit more...

I have seen and used aeris gear, I dont like it and dont know of anyone who prefers it over say dive rite, OMS, or scubapro. Save your money and your mind and go with good gear and if you shop around you could get it even cheaper than I did I am sure.

Leisure pro and scubatoys both have sales going on right now that will save you money on a BP/W, compass, bottom timer and regs. but stay away from Cressi, aeris, and mares. Contact tobin at deep sea supply for the Real deal.

The Aeris LX was given BCD of the year 2007 by Scuba Lab - the XT got very high marks and two awards by them. I just bought the XT, opted for it over the LX. Cressi is extremely popular here in the UAE and in South Africa... I have the Archimede II 3 gauge console. Dunno what the hassle is in the US with the brand.

ScubaPro's big here, but doesn't do anything for me after using their gear.

Let a guy get what makes him happy and what he can afford, the stuff all meet certain sminimum standards, and we all look ahead to affording that upgrade.

I will say you should shop around a bit, most of that stuff's a lot cheaper elsewhere if you look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom