Is TillyTec W30 the same as AE Light W30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeeuuBee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I have a lot of LED flashlights, but only one LED dive light.
I have the AE Light W30 (now called the AE Lifelight) and it's a great light. It seems to be modeled after your light. Do you manufacter them for AE Light here in the USA?

They say the W30 is 300 lumens. I know you guys don't use that for comparisons.
Here, in the USA if a light has a 12 degree lens and 300 lumens, it can be compare reasonably to another light with 10-15 degree lens and such and such lumens. Granted, it's not science and it's subjective, but it is a general comparison and has worked pretty well so far for me.
If I hear 300 lumen and 200 lumen I have a good idea which ones is brighter. Now I can go into the store and ask to test both lights before I buy one.

Anyway, I ask because you came out with the W40, and it's brighter than the W30 then they might be also getting a new light, and I'll hold off on a new purchase until it comes here.

The W30 (AE Lifelight) here has a Cree Q5 LED in it.
What LED does your W30 have in it?
What has changed in the W40 to maked it that much brighter than the W30?
What type of LED does the W40 now have?
Will the W30 be discontinued?

Sorry for all the questions...it's not that often that I find a manufacturer on a forum answering questions.

Last one...Does the W30 and/or W40 have a regulator board inside or are they direct drive.

Hello DeeuuBee,

the AE Light W30 is a copy of our Backup W30 and we do not manufacture for them neither so do they for us.

Our Backup W30 was replaced with the W40 and it is not going to be continued. The new Backup W40 has now approx. 40 watts comparable Halogen watts and of course 15 000 LUX not Lumens. :wink:

We are using our own reflector and a high end LED and it is direct driven.

What we recommending is:

Get a Backup W40 and one light you want to compare with. Take it to a test dive. Do never compare a dive light outside the water! Would not make any sense. If you chose to keep our BackUp W40 or any other light from us, we are glad to found a new customer, if you decide to keep the other one, send the light back to us and as soon we got it 100% back you will get your money 100% back.

That is how TillyTec is doing business since 10 years now and we have a loooooot satisfied customers.

Regards

Ralf
TillyTec USA

I'll have to give that some thought. It's not like any good lights are cheap.

Each manufacturer more or less has said the same thing to me when I've asked for technical information.

While I'm looking for another light, I just don't know if I want to lay out $1000 to test all the lights that I'm considering side by side and send back the one's I didn't like.

Without a side by side comparison, It's hard to tell which one I'd like best.

By themselves, everylight I have used looks good. The W40 was only one of my choices.

That's why I have been trying to find out the technical aspects of the lights first.

I tried to find equipment reviews and comparisons; It used to be easy to find someone doing a comparison of all lights in the same category. Not anymore. Are there any reviewers online that did a practical review or the W40 and other lights in the backup category?

I will check with your USA distributor and see what Scuba Shops in NYC or Long Island, NY sell your lights? I'd like to go there and see one of the W40's.

First, you are writing with TillyTec USA here.

We have a lot comparison but all of them are written in German so far.

We only have a few underwater videos, which can be found here:

Video

Here is a dealer in NY:

Village Divers
125 E. 4th St.
New York, NY 10003

Thanks, I hung around hoping for a quick reply. I know where that, I'll go check them out. At first I thought I was going to be disappointed because your website only shows two authorized dealers in the USA. I'm glad the list is expanding.

Hello DeeuuBee,

the AE Light W30 is a copy of our Backup W30 and we do not manufacture for them neither so do they for us.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

hi

understood so why this?

*Warning* Copies of LifeLight are being offered by Hong Kong companies with inferior quality and performance. AE Light will not honor warranty claims for these counterfeit copies. The AE LifeLight is the original light as designed by Tilly Tec of Germany.

It is NOT the original TillyTec BackUp W40 but only the body! Our BackUp has approx. 15000 Lux, AE only approx 5000 Lux.

Regards

Ralf
TillyTec USA

understood now.
thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom