Is your diving season over?.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDMD

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Who plans to still dive and who will wait till next spring?

What are your justifications behind your decisions?

Thank you for your input......

Diving slows down, certainly. Almost all local quarries close down for the winter, harder to get buddies to dive in cold water, and ice diving season is a few months away.
Have a trip planned to NC in December. :D

I plan on diving until the ice covers the quarries and lakes. May do an ice dive or two also. One of my goals is to do a local dive every month of the year. My theory is if you can learn to dive cold dark water you can dive almost anywhere.

One of the many reasons jets are made............

Last Saturday we did two 135 minute dives in 50 degree water. In the Thousand Islands, near the bridge.

Awesome cave diving practice, reel deployment, tie offs, line drill in zero vis, air sharing in restriction with zero vis and so on.

The second dive ending with a 30 minute excursion on a wall. On the way back two of the four divers lost their primary lights, another practice with secondary light deployment. The two "victims" repositioning in the middle of the group to complete the dive.

We saw a turtle, crayfish the size of a small lobster, an eel, a huge Carp, a pink Newt, at least ten fairly good sized Bass and the hit of the day a good 4 foot Muskie.

We were welcomed with light snowflakes when surfacing. Beautiful scenery, the bridge lit up like a Christmas tree and light from nearby Alexandria Bay reflecting on the low cloud ceiling, magical.

Another two dives are planned for the last week end of November.:)

What's this season thing?

Local lake here is a warm spring. Cold air keeps the wusses and the bugs away. On the other hand I'm gonna try some ice diving this winter.

(Can I say wusses on the interwebs?)

:penguin:This will be my third winter certified. The first I was acquiring gear and did my "diving" in the pool :pooldive:at the Y sitting in on classes with the instructor's permission. The second year I tried to get out every weekend weather permitting. The coldest day :cold:I had was at Rockport Back Beach - late January, 26* air, 37* water at 25', 4" snow on the ground. I used a Henderson 7/5 with a polyolefin dive skin and a 1.5mm pants and hooded chicken vest against the skin. I'm looking forward to the coming winter for several reasons:
[1] No trap lines in the water to get hung up on.
[2] No lobstermen watching your every move.
[3] No overhead boat activity to worry about when you get away from shore
[4] You have the waters to yourself - very few other divers out there
[5] Parking is no problem - very few tourists or even locals to compete with
[6] It is good to keep up your skills for when the 'diving season" starts again
[7] The plant life all dies back and most of the critters head to deeper water so there is not much to see in that department. But that allows you to see the ocean floor again without all that vegetation hiding it.
[8] Which allows me to create reference marks on the floor for future diving. I will put rocks on top of other rocks, make little ciarns[sp?], align cinderblocks in a certain direction. Of course by mid-summer they are all buried under vegetation again or destroyed by big storms.
[9] With the vegetation gone it is a great time to hunt for all those lost fishing weights in the shallows [lead is almost $4 a pound!] and even an occasional lure in good shape.
[10] Winter diving gives me a reason to keep up my exercising program at the gym. You need strong legs for shore diving around here.
[11] It gets me out of the house on those dreary mid-winter days.
[12] Like somone just said a few posts back - if you can learn to dive in Maine winter conditions you can probably get along most anywhere the rest of the year.
[13] Someday I want to dive Newfoundland and this is good practice.
[14] Many ocean residences are boarded up for the winter so you don't get harrassed for diving in front of their homes or walking through their yards.
[15] The viz is much better in the winter. Instead of the usual summer viz of 10-20' norm, it gets to 15-30' norm.
[16] My dives are shallow in the winter -I won't go below 40' for fear of a free flow. I can get a long time out of my steel 100 in the shallows. One long dive is enough for me - diving and all that goes with it can be exhausting !

I could probably think of a lot of other reasons but I have to get to the gym and then to work.........Joe

I just realized I am going to get flamed and ridiculed big time for writing that my coldest day diving was 27* with 4" snow on the ground. I am opening this up to tons of war stories about worst conditions diving. In the winter I pick and choose my days. I won't go diving if it is below 20* and I won't go if the ocean is stormy. I won't go diving in a blizzed intentionally though exiting is another matter. That particular day at Back Beach was a beautiful late January day. That was a warm day for that time of year and a winter with very little snow. So before you Canadians blast me - yes it gets a lot colder here and yes we do have winters with many feet of snow on the ground by the end of January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom