Isla Guadalupe Shark Diving in TROUBLE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posted on Underwater Thrills: Swimming With Sharks

"Club Cantamar and the MV Sea Escape opened the 2008 white shark diving season this year.

We just got off the phone with them and here's the update:

The sharks are once again back at Isla Guadalupe. Day one was slow, with two sizable Mako's making an appearance and then disappearing into the clear waters and not returning.

Mid afternoon-Day one-three great whites show up and for the next two days the crew and divers on board the MV Sea Escape are treated to sharks, sharks, sharks!

It looks like another shark filled season this year. For those few of you who'll be joining us out there we look forward to showing you a shark or two"

Sean

I have been visiting Guad for almost 30 years on long range fishing trips and I have observed a drastic change in GWS behavior since the start of the cage diving trips. Prior a GWS sighting was a rare event, every blue moon one would stop by, then move on, during this time an attack on a Mexican abalone diver was also a rare event. Since the trips have started the change has been dramatic, often we will have a shark at the boat before the anchor is set, and will often have multiple sharks at the boat during the course of a day. It is obvious that these intelligent, magnificent predators have learned to associate boats with food, this is a real safety issue, first there has been in increase in the number of abalone divers lost to shark attack (2 last year alone) and with boats operating so far from rescue a sinking could turn into a real blood bath.

But IMO the major issue here is the change in natural behavior from this extensive feeding. The issues with feeding wild animals are well known and this practice should never be allowed. We would not feed grizzly bears or wolves so they could be photographed for obvious reasons. You would not go to Hawaii and feed the reef fish (or at least should not!), what is the #1 biting animal at the Grand Canyon? Habituated ground squirrels.

I mean what is there to get here? Why disrupt an ecosystem so someone can make a buck?

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE SHARKS!

Last edited:
"first there has been in increase in the number of abalone divers lost to shark attack (2 last year alone)".

I am assuming you mean worldwide. As a commercial operator whose intimately involved with any events that happen at Isla Guadalupe this is the first time I have been informed that not one but two ab divers were attacked at the I.G site in 2007.

The fishermen have always said they are in danger of attack, and it has happened in the past 2000-1997 but that's more due to basic predation patterns and really bad luck than our operations on site. Be very careful about making claims like this in public without back up. I would like to see a news article or email or any information about these two attacks at I.G in 2007-if you have it.

The recent data coming back from our 4 year fully supported Mexican shark tagging and tracking efforts by the following vessels:

NEX
Islander
Horizon
Shark Diver

shows a distinct feeding pattern that the ab divers should be made aware of. Basically any diving close to shore in season at sunrise or sunset is a recipe for disaster, this is when they are feeding on the endemic fur seals. This was unknown until the CICIMAR teams discovered it two years ago.

More to the point, we as operations on site are making a buck for sure (and a small one at that) it's the nature of the business of shark diving. But we (vessels mentioned only) are also giving back in the form of an ongoing research effort, and a website guadalupefund.org.

It's not perfect and could use improvement but we are getting there. We do know that even protected areas like Socorro get 2.5 tons of shark fins taken on a whim (this spring). Until the MX gov can station a full time navy frigate on that site to protect these animals, we, unfortunately are the only thing holding the line from sustainable tourism to shark fins and dried jaws.

I am serious about any information you have about those two ab divers. If this is the case it needs to be looked into.
--
Cheers,
Patric Douglas CEO
Great White Shark Diving - Shark Diver - Absolute Adventures
..:: Shark Divers - Wildlife & Shark Production Consultation ::..
Underwater Thrills: Swimming With Sharks
www.guadalupefund.org
Home page for a unique, new shark documentary DVD

Commercializing sharks for sure..

but in a way, that's not really a bad thing. you're giving people who would be terrified of these animals (thanks Mr. benchley) a reason not be scared.
by diving with white sharks, people are introduced to their actual way of life, with proper education (something I feel that shark diver provides), preservation of the sharks will remove them off the endangered species list.

And ultimately, will be seeing some 25-30' great whites around North America again.

There will always be attacks, but everyone with a brain knows that these attacks are not random, these are attacks of mistaken identity.

[I would like to see a news article or email or any information about these two attacks at I.G in 2007-if you have it.

As you are well aware things that happen in such a remote place as Quad draws absolutely no press, just frantic fishermen begging for help from the sportfishers that frequent the island, as a very long term customer of the fleet I have a great deal of trust in the captians that provided the info to me. But it is this reality that has pushed the fishing collective to press the government to ban shark feeding at guad, without them nobody would care, but they are frightened enough to make up the exagerated claims that is being used as an excuse to shut this disruptive practice down, why? They do not want to be the next to die.

are also giving back in the form of an ongoing research effort.

Sounds like the same logic the Japanese use to justify whaling, or perhaps we go to Glacier National Park and hide hotdogs in unsuspecting campers tents to "do research" on the Grizzly sense of smell?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but disrupting an ecosystem for commercial gain and wrapping yourself in the cloak of dubious "research" doesn't cut it for me.

I have no bones to pick with you on this one and as I have come to learn over the many years in this gig-you're not going to change a single mind once it's made up. Obviously you got a beef with what we do. I get that.

I will send you to the following sites to back up what I say. As for hearsay and rumors about supposed deaths (two last year) unless you come to this forum with hard facts I cannot help you.

Here's the laundry list of "dubious research" currently being conducted at Isla Guadalupe Note: Most dubious of all both U.C Davis with Dr.Peter Klimley and Mexico's CICIMAR with Dr. P Galvan are actually involved in this dubious work.

Isla Guadalupe 2004-2008 White Shark tagging and Tracking

Biotelemetry Laboratory - White Sharks

Travelistic: Isla Guadalupe-Conservation Fund White Shark Research

lgo-GICF.gif

I understand why you feel my use of "dubious" is harsh, but I feel that when the harm to the ecosystem exceeds that value of the research it becomes of dubious value, in no way did I mean to imply that there was no research going on.

I did spend time looking at your first link and watched your video link and I found it remarkable that your video link starts out referring to Guad as an "ecological jewel", and what makes it such a jewel? The answer is the lack of impact from man, so why deface this jewel by becoming an agent of change to this pristine location? I have no issue with scientists visiting and conducting limited feedings to attract a shark for tagging or other legitimate study, it is the ongoing, regular feeding for thrill seekers that are NOT part of research that I have a problem with, this is habituating the sharks to boats and changing the very feeding patterns that the scientists desire to study.

Ironic that the M/V Islander has taken me there many times while it was owned by Mark and Paul.

Arguably that's a great point. Why indeed? That would open a lot of questions and great debate platform. Why any dive site worldwide-where big animals are the prime subject?

I mean what is there to get here? Why disrupt an ecosystem so someone can make a buck?

You mean disrupt an eco system like the eco system the yellow fin tuna enjoy at Guadalupe?
We like to take pictures of sharks while they are still alive!
if Guadalupe was 15 miles from the mainland we wouldn't go. But it is much much further out.
That Island is uninhabited by humans and divers are the only people protecting the sharks from the fishermen who want to kill them, hang them up and take their picture. Fishermen like to take pictures of dead things.
I have been on many trips to Guadalupe. I have seen people catching tuna at Guadalupe. The Tuna gets pulled to the boat, the gaff goes in it's head, the GWS comes up and bites it off clean and goes away.
You can't say the fishermen aren't feeding the sharks, they are feeding them. whether it's indirectly or after the crew has pushed all the dead fish guts overboard, they are feeding them.
The fishermen would also be catching them, smoking a cigar, slapping each other on the back and calling the taxidermist as soon as they are in cel phone range.
You are a fisherman right ?.....come on you want one of those big monsters on your wall too right ? Think of how hard he would fight.
The diving operators have a right to do this as long as it's legal.
The fishing operators are also profiting from this "ecosystem" The Mexican Government "if you can call it that" are profiting as well. They sell permits to divers and to fishers.
I don't see anyone at Guadalupe protecting these animals except the people who make money off the fish in the water, the operators. The people with cameras will tell the story of who is being good to the eco system.
If the Fishing industry takes every last Tuna out there then the fishing operators will just find another island to make money from and no one will say a word. "oh well there used to be a lot of tuna at Guadalupe" I wondered what happened to those fish. Maybe the GREAT WHITES ATE THEM ALL ! I know, why don't we just kill all the Great Whites and the tuna will come back ! We know that fish finders and new technology are really to blame. Get real the fishermen have made an a_-load of money off Guadalupe.
yaaaaaaaaaaay.....
whew...been wanting to get that off my chest
Don't chum the waters with dead tuna guts from tuna that are becoming more and more scarce is what I say. Unless you want to take a picture of one of the most Amazing creatures on earth. Live and let live.

Last edited:
Shark Diver or not, it's going to happen and unfortunetely there's no way to stop it.

It happens with Mantas, Whale Sharks, and just about any species of shark. Hell, even up here in Vancouver, they offer hornby island Six Gill shark.
Sure there's no chum, but commercializing still.

Kudos to patric to defend himself whereas other operators would just ignore your e-mails/posts.

I'm not hear to kiss patric's ass in hopes to get a discount on dives (it would surely help!) but did anyone watch him on this years shark week? He talked not about his company but the migration habbits of Great White sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom