Island Ventures in Key Largo Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got nosy and searched for all of his posts...exactly two of them, posted two minutes apart...the second one copied and pasted from the first. As if the first one wasn't enough. I find that to be very unprofessional.

I agree - i think my post is on page 1 where i say i get a bit jacked about one post wonders

on the plus side, its nice to see a Keys operator online with a couple of thoughtful reponses - hopefully we will continue to see them on SB

cheers

I find it interesting that some of you find it entertaining to point out issues when you were not present. I normally do not participate in these forums for just that reason. I was only poining out, on this forum as others do, my observations on my experience with this particular vendor in Key Largo. What they are not telling everyone is there were three insured dive instructors on the boat with this group of twelve, the instructors, not the crew of the boat were in charge of the divers in the water! Only one diver returned to ask for more weight from the crew, all twelve made the dive without incident. My complaint is with the PROFESSIONALISM of the staff. I was present when all the paperwork was completed, not the last one to sign in, and listened to all comments by the boat crew and Ann on of the owners. At no time prior to our loading the vessel was any of this brought to our attention. I applaud them for wanting to be safe, but just showing a aow card does not mean experience! You may have a great experience with them when you dive in the future, I do not have too. Some of you feel the more you post out here the better source it makes you. I feel otherwise. I only comment on what I feel has merit, and having a staff member rant, smelling of alcohol on the dock infront of paying customers does not seem rational and professional to me.

OH MY. Thanks for that info, Brian.

I can't find a "smilie" for "hypocrite." Apparently he has issues with accepting responsibility for anything.

There seems to be quite a bit of that going around SB these days....
:popcorn:

A few random thoughts...

The presence of insured instructors in the water does not remove liability from the boats captain or crew.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical)
"...the traditional customary title given to the person in charge of a ship at sea."
"Rights and responsibilities - The captain has enormous legal powers and is responsible in all aspects for a ship underway."

Suck it up and deal with it. He made a call, this isn't the NFL, we don't have instant video replay.

This is a community. You hang around on the proverbial street corner for over 2 years, and this post is when you decide to open your mouth, this is your legacy? Comon, how else but with wide eyed scepticism do you expect to be greeted. As a dive professional I'd expect you to extend a little professional courtesy and leave your grievence to be resolved to other channels. Instead you run to the internet and fling mud. I sure hope no one ever has a bad experience at Tampa Adventure Sports.

Bert Wilcher is the one of the most experienced and respected cave and technical instructors in Florida. I doubt that there is anyone in the keys that comes close to him with regard to his ability to dive and teach. If this was his group that was not allowed to dive then the dive operator in the keys was wrong. His reputation speaks for itself.

If alcohol was involved then that's a real problem in my opinion.

Bert Wilcher is the one of the most experienced and respected cave and technical instructors in Florida. I doubt that there is anyone in the keys that comes close to him with regard to his ability to dive and teach. If this was his group that was not allowed to dive then the dive operator in the keys was wrong. His reputation speaks for itself.

If alcohol was involved then that's a real problem in my opinion.

Seriously Ed, you need to look deeper into this. Something is wrong with this picture.

Yep, thanks for pointing that out Debby. Bert Wilcher is the same instructor that accused American Pro in Crystal River of taking non-cave trained divers into Eagles Nest (for a fee) while he himself took took two non-cave trained students doing recreational helitrox class down to 170' in the Eagles Nest. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black :popcorn: While I realize being a NAUITEC instructor offers some latitude on the training sites, Eagles Nest is a pretty unforgiving place. When I raised this question on The Deco Stop, he wouldn't respond.

Is this allegation true becuase this is disturbing and very serious?!

It's ok to dive Eagles Nest if you are doing helitrox training. The cavern zone has a heavy rope that goes straight down to 160+ without going into the cave. It's probably an easier place to do the training than the ocean because there is no current and you can hang on the rope during deco.

It is deep and far from a medical facility so you wouldn’t want to bring a recreational open water diver there.

Thnx...

As a part-time Key Largo resident I just can't agree with your thought process or statement of facts. And my comments relate to safety and planning and not my particular fondness for Island Ventures. To be honest even though they are located just 1 mile from my condo, I have only been out with them twice in the last 5 years.

It is the captains roll to make the on-site assessments While many Ops do require AOW, a log book or computer with dives with similar conditions will most likely do the trick. Did you group actually fit this description, I think not!

Also I think you have underestimated how conditions can change. Most recently on the morning of Sept 1st we had near perfect conditions off of Key Largo. Great vis and no current. But by 6:30 PM the same day and with no increase in the seas (or change of wind direction), the current had picked up to the point the mooring balls the Duane were 2/3 submerged and the fishing boats (gotta love our transplanted friends from South of Key West) looked like they were making a wake - and they were not even moving.

So even though I had arranged a private night dive on the Duane and the least experienced diver onboard had 400+ dives including multiple night dives on the Duane, we aborted the dive and just went over to 'Mo. Better safe than sorry

Enough said.
Hey Jeff - Yup - but it was still a GREAT dive!!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom