Isn't Nitrox Recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Isn't Nitrox recreational?

Sherpa,

Since this is a real good question, and worthy of discussion, I split this off into a new thread so we don't dilute the main focus of the TDI BASIC NITROX course.

Any gas can be used for technical diving. To characterize even air as "recreational" isn't quite accurate, as air's perfectly viable for shallow technical dives.
Rick

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Isn't Nitrox recreational?

When used as a back gas in an open water environment its generally condidered recreational.

Tom

Here's my answer to your question:

Yes, Nitrox is becoming more and more a part of recreational diving. But from what I have been taught, it had it's beginnings in the technical diving realm.

I've also been taught that much of the things we take for granted in the recreational diving realm (such as BC's) had their start with technical divers. One view I have of technical divers is that they are often the ones who (with proper planning and execution) are slowly expanding that edge of the envelope to find out what increases their safety and enjoyment for that type of advanced dive. And as they discover and develop new techniques and equipment, recreational divers also benefit since what works way back up in a cave or in the deep and dark often works great on pure recreational dives.

My view is that anything that adds complication to basic open water dive is somewhat technical in nature. From this I would submit that diving with Nitrox is technical diving, due to the additional understanding (knowledge), planning, and execution necessary to dive Nitrox safely. Recreational divers on air often do no more planning than to agree upon where they are going, who is leading, and when to return to their exit point. Nitrox divers need to do and understand more, including determining what EANx is best for the planned depth, analyzing their mixture, determining their MOD, knowing there is now an oxygen exposure limit, and more.

So I don't see Nitrox as "purely" recreational as your question implies to me. More and more recreational divers are utilizing it (which is great!), but due to the increased complexity, it's the first step in a diver's technical diving education.

"Nitrox is becoming more and more a part of recreational diving. But from what I have been taught, it had it's beginnings in the technical diving realm."

Nitrox actually was used in military, scientific and commercial applications before there was "technical" diving. BC's (all three styles) were also in common use before "technical" diving began. Nitrox was introduced to the recreational community in the mid '80's in Key Largo around the same time the term "technical diving" was first used. Nitrox allowed additional bottom time over air tables, but some of us had already made the switch to computers and were getting as much (and often more) bottom time on air. Until nitrox computers became available there was no bottom time advantage to diving with nitrox.

My point is that nitrox is taught to a Basic Open Water Diver. This keeps it out of the technical realm. I don't know any tech divers who weren't trained to use nitrox, but that doesn't mean that nitrox is technical. All tech divers were also trained Open Water. Does this make Open Water a technical course?

Mike, it seems like this would be read more by people in the BASIC Scuba discussion who weren't Nitrox.

Also, is this board a good place to pitch classes?

Cheers and safe Nitrox (single aluminum 80) diving

Divesherpa inquired...
Also, is this board a good place to pitch classes?
Another good question (your 2 for 2!)

Bringing it up for discussion in Moderator's forum.

Reply pending

I don't think it is the proper place for classes. For a while there were a lot of DIR Fund classes being posted, which are a little different since they are not based anywhere, but don't think it is fair to let some in and not others.

Maybe a separate forum on classes/education?

At least that would be one place where DIR would not get into the mix, right? :)

Tommy

tombiowami once bubbled...
...which are a little different since they are not based anywhere, but don't think it is fair to let some in and not others.
:confused:
Tommy, can you elaborate? I'm not clear on what you are saying with that.

Back
Top Bottom