Isn't Nitrox Recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Mike, Tommy.
What are you saying exactly?

Tommy has a good idea for another section on scubaboard. A place where classes can be posted freely. TexasMike can post his info about the TDI class thats mentioned. Others can post about upcoming DIRF classes etc etc etc.

I think I understand what Tommy means but I'll let him clear that up in his own words.

The DIR Fund classes tend to be kind of homegrown in that a group of divers get together, chip in and ask one of the instructors to fly in to teach the class.

Once details get more solid the word goes out on the internet boards so people who had not heard of it can join up. If you get more people they fly more instructors in for the class.

(Ours had like 3 people until the month before and it grew to a dozen or so)

I know they teach them regularly at EE and 5thD but not too many other places.

Is that better, I know I am not too clear sometimes?

Tommy

are you also saying that if DIRF classes are posted then it should be OK to post others as well?

TexasMike once bubbled...
Here's my answer to your question:

One view I have of technical divers is that they are often the ones who (with proper planning and execution) are slowly expanding that edge of the envelope to find out what increases their safety and enjoyment for that type of advanced dive.

Now, although I don't disagree with TexasMike, I would just have to say that they don't always plan things properly and execute them properly. There are many times where they have pushed the frontier without knowing full well the complications that can arise. Even right now, any of you who dive with Argon for example. It hasn't been shown in any way, whether it aids/retards/or is neutral to the condition of decompression illness. This isn't to say that it is harmful, or I think it is harmful (I do plan on using it one day), just that any scientific evidence and understanding is lacking.

Also, there are many times where they do not plan the dives all that well. Many of you are probably quite familiar with the "Bicker Brothers", and I hope that you agree with me, that in the circumstances that they were in (couldn't afford anything but air), they should've cancelled the dive. Regrettably they did not. But it is because of pioneers such as them that recreational scuba has advanced as it has.

PS: How the #%$& did DIR get involved in any of this?
Can't anyone have an opinion without stating which agency
GAVE/MADE them have that opinion.

AltonK once bubbled...

Ask any medical researcher, In order for it to become science a few rats have to risk there lifes and die.

after that they all pretend it was obvious from the begining.

And until someone is that rat, (I know I don't want to be it), the facts aren't there.

There have to be people willing to risk something to push something else forward, and unfortunately, as of now, I don't think I have the knowledge to risk myself as it would be a foolish risk, instead of a calculated one. :)

Is Nitrox recreational, I'm not sure what you mean by that, I'll answer that with a question " is diving technical or recreational?".

Dive Safe
Caymaniac:boom:

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Isn't Nitrox recreational?
It is when I use it. :)

(Actually, I think Rick and WW have already answered the question.)

Back
Top Bottom