Isn't Nuweiba very under-rated for diving experience and value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second the recommendations for African Divers. I was there once again a couple of weeks back, and it was just as nice as the first time.

During five days, we didn't dive one site more than once and there was a couple of sites I dived back in June which we did not do now.

I liked Sinkers by the way, thought the site was pretty cool.

And Nuweiba is definitively the best place to be if you need to chill. Dahab is getting more and more commercial every time I go there.

I do not know where you have dived and what dive guides you have had, but I feel truly sorry if this is your impression!

Actually I stopped doing guided dives about a decade ago (because I do love sea horses, frog fishes and the such:wink: ). The pitiful impression I got from looking around at what goes in and out of the water around me, hearing comments from friends on both sides (guided dives consumers and dive guides...), and from diving here and there during the last 20 something years or so.

Good luck for you that you've found a good dive operator, that fits you like a glove to your hand. It looks to me that you are some sort of "local diver" that feels at home with your diveop, and apparently comes there frequently. This is not the case for many tourists that come only once in a few years to the area, and maybe will never come back (bad diveop?), or perhaps only return in a couple of years before they choose another dive destination in some other place of the world. This divers may be satisfied with slightly lower degree of acquaintance with your precious dive sites, they may contend to dive 45-50 minutes and "see as many dive sites as possible"- after all- they may never return here and need to put a "v" in their logbook...

Think about it!
A dive guide who after every dive can't wait to get out of the water, or is QUOTE "on a hurry to get out" shouldn't really be a dive guide, should he?

You could be wrong about this one.

Some guides get paid per dive- if you keep him 100minutes in the water, he could be losing money because of divers with good air consumption (but he must keep nice maybe you tip him for his good patience- maybe not). And then, suppose he got another 5 divers with air consumption worst than you (maybe they are inexperienced? eh?)- how will he keep them safe while you want to extend the time until you get your 50 bars? What about you? Can you dive calmly knowing there is a whole group of wet divers are counting the seconds for you to get out of the water?

The same nice guide may have another 5-6 dives scheduled for the day, he doesn't want to spend 80 minutes on a single dive.

In egypt pretty much every guide is paid per dive whether its 20 mins or 2hrs.

There's also the issue that others in the group may want or need to get out sooner than others. A group doesnt HAVE to be sheep-herded - the DM can brief and stay on land if needed or split the group IF (and this is the problem...) he is sure the divers are capable of executing their own dive within the prescribed limits unassisted. Sadly, a large % of divers lack that ability.

Believe it or not some guides actually LIKE diving so want to stay in a bit longer just for their own enjoyment as well!

I was guilty this winter of keeping people in for too long just because they had air left. I was quite happy in my drysuit and weezle, noticed people had 100 bar left so going to keep them in until at least 50-70 bar. Only afterwards did they admit they were freezing and wanted out 20 mins sooner!

No name again!! it is not offence taken, it is just ill informed and and untruths that can be posted by the likes of your ilk.

Back
Top Bottom