Israeli woman drowns during epileptic incident - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know much about the modern treatment of epilepsy. Is it not a disqualifier for diving?

Incident occurs in Sharm el-Sheikh, a popular tourist destination for Israelis; Foreign Ministry is assisting the family in bringing her body back to Israel for burial.

An Israeli woman died over the weekend, having drowned while on vacation with her husband in the Sinai Peninsula, Hebrew-language media reported Sunday.

Orit Peled, 49, was staying at a resort in the city of Sharm el-Sheikh, located on the southern tip of the Egyptian peninsula — a popular tourist destination for Israelis.

The Foreign Ministry has been notified of the incident and is assisting the family in bringing the woman’s body back to Israel for burial, reports said.

Speaking with Hebrew media, Orit’s husband Itzik said that she had an epileptic seizure while diving, charging that the local lifeguards didn’t have sufficient knowledge of CPR to save her life.

he told Channel 13 news that Orit was an experienced diver who traveled to Sinai two or three times a year to dive.

I don't know much about the modern treatment of epilepsy. Is it not a disqualifier for diving?

Most likely it is but sometimes the diver got certified before they were diagnosed with the medical condition and continued to dive after the diagnosis.

I thought the husband's alleged quote "charging that the local lifeguards didn’t have sufficient knowledge of CPR to save her life" was a bit much, but then he was in shock and grief I'm sure.

I thought the husband's alleged quote "charging that the local lifeguards didn’t have sufficient knowledge of CPR to save her life" was a bit much, but then he was in shock and grief I'm sure.
This suggests that she was still alive when taken out of water.

I'm surprised some kind of elastic "headband" meant to keep the reg in ones mouth doesnt exist (or maybe it does?). Seems like it would be helpful for someone with epilepsy and could help to keep the regulator in their mouth until their buddy swims over and helps.

I'm surprised some kind of elastic "headband" meant to keep the reg in ones mouth doesnt exist (or maybe it does?). Seems like it would be helpful for someone with epilepsy and could help to keep the regulator in their mouth until their buddy swims over and helps.
Using the ARO (pure-oxygen CC rebreather) it was quite common to see divers getting convulsions and epylectic-style crisis, due to oxygen toxyicity.
I did my first diving course using mostly the ARO, in 1975.
At the time for "deep" diving (below 6 meters) the usage of a full face mask was recommended. With a FFM you do not drown even when you get an epilectic seizure.
Hence I think that people at risk of epilectic crisis should use a FFM.

Hence I think that people at risk of epilectic crisis should use a FFM.

No, they shouldn't be diving period! There are other dangers to the diver during epileptic seizure in addition to dropping the second stage from their mouth.

Back
Top Bottom