Israeli woman drowns during epileptic incident - Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately in this day and age it is always someone else fault.
One of my co-workers successfully resuscitated a boy that had been submerged in a creek for at least 10 minutes. The boy had some brain damage from lack of oxygen for so long. The parents attempted to sue the rescuer. Luckily state law protected him. Some people.....

This sounds to me like it happened while snorkeling, not diving.

From Dandy Don's article:

He said that while Orit had epilepsy, “she was with a guide at all times who held her hand. She took medications and didn’t have seizures all the time.”

On Friday, the couple went to a beach familiar to Orit, where she wanted to snorkel.

“I was afraid, but she wanted it,” he said. “She took me with her and I dived. After 30 minutes I went onto the wharf and she continued. I suddenly saw something wasn’t okay. I called a lifeguard and told him to go in the water, but they didn’t know how to perform CPR. They had no equipment. There was a tourist who did CPR on her, but it didn’t help.”

From Dandy Don's article:

He said that while Orit had epilepsy, “she was with a guide at all times who held her hand. She took medications and didn’t have seizures all the time.”

On Friday, the couple went to a beach familiar to Orit, where she wanted to snorkel.

“I was afraid, but she wanted it,” he said. “She took me with her and I dived. After 30 minutes I went onto the wharf and she continued. I suddenly saw something wasn’t okay. I called a lifeguard and told him to go in the water, but they didn’t know how to perform CPR. They had no equipment. There was a tourist who did CPR on her, but it didn’t help.”
Like I said snorkeling when she had the siezure,
Diving in the days before but snorkeling the day of. Or maybe it's just bad journalism.

Like I said snorkeling when she had the siezure,
Diving in the days before but snorkeling the day of. Or maybe it's just bad journalism.

I'd go with poor journalism. Sounds like she snorkels, he dives, could be free or scuba, couldn't tell.

This suggests that she was still alive when taken out of water.
If you are doing CPR on someone, they are by definition dead. CPR keeps them viable until you can get them to definitive care.

I called a lifeguard and told him to go in the water,
So your wife is in the water, convulsing in front of you (and probably you're the only one who really knows whats going on), and you call someone else to go get her? This is a very strange picture in my head.

I'm surprised some kind of elastic "headband" meant to keep the reg in ones mouth doesnt exist (or maybe it does?). Seems like it would be helpful for someone with epilepsy and could help to keep the regulator in their mouth until their buddy swims over and helps.
A number of scuba-divers make one out of a length of bungie, with a knot on each tend. Then place that under a zip-tie over the mouth-piece. You can tighten it by pulling on the bungie. It also works well for sidemount, when you're switching regulators often, because when that regulator is not in your mouth, it rests below your chin.

It can help prevent the regulator from falling out of your mouth during something like a loss of consciousness, however I wouldn't use it as a crutch for a known medical condition as it's not guaranteed to perform that function, and there are other problems that may arise (such as waking up 300ft deep on air).

One of my co-workers successfully resuscitated a boy that had been submerged in a creek for at least 10 minutes. The boy had some brain damage from lack of oxygen for so long. The parents attempted to sue the rescuer. Luckily state law protected him. Some people.....
People like that are one of the problems in this world

If a professional on-duty lifeguard doesn’t know CPR that is pretty weird though, even in the third world… Anyone more worldly than me want to comment on how likely that is? If it’s true, what are they even there for?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom