Question Issues filling 3300psi aluminum tanks with nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjshank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As an owner of a couple Catalina C80 tanks, I was curious if anyone was having issues getting 3300 psi nitrox fills. Mine are currently filled with air as my LDS doesn't offer nitrox, but I'm headed to the keys in february, so I thought I would try to get nitrox there. I only ask because I stumbled across this thread. In that thread it seemed like it wasn't a problem at the time but the thread is from a couple years ago.

The only problem would be trying to put pure O2 into a cylinder that already had 3000psi in it. But that should not happen.
If the Nitrox is premixed, no issue. If it is partial-pressure mixed, you add the O2 (at low pressures) before you add the air to bring the cylinder up to 3300.

The only problem would be trying to put pure O2 into a cylinder that already had 3000psi in it. But that should not happen.
If the Nitrox is premixed, no issue. If it is partial-pressure mixed, you add the O2 (at low pressures) before you add the air to bring the cylinder up to 3300.
I’m not asking if it is safe/unsafe, I realize it can be done safely as you describe above. I’m asking if the dive shops are going to give me a hard time if I try to get a Nitrox fill?

I’m not asking if it is safe/unsafe, I realize it can be done safely as you describe above. I’m asking if the dive shops are going to give me a hard time if I try to get a Nitrox fill?

You might have an issue if the shop partial pressure blends and your cylinders aren’t O2 clean.

I am trying to remember the last time I was in the Keys, but I believe the shop I used then had its air in 3000 PSI tanks and its nitrox in 3300 tanks.

No, it is not an issue of your 3300 tanks.
If they give you a hard time, it is because of you, not your tanks. :)

I was curious if anyone was having issues getting 3300 psi
The keys are not known for 'generous' fills after the tank cools to ambient temperature in private tanks. 3000 yes, 3300 good luck.

Here's another thought.

When I dive in South Florida, it is customary to bring your tanks to the boat, but when I have dived the Key Largo area, it is common to buy a package that includes the tanks. You may find it more advantageous to buy such a package and leave your tanks at home.

You will also find that many of the dives in that area are pretty shallow, and paying for nitrox is a waste of money. You will definitely want it for some dives, but not for most.

P.S. Go to a "tech shop" if you can. Ask about High Pressure fills. Nitrox is not an issue; 3300 might be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom