Recommend ways to 'Bump up' some tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InWay2Deep

Contributor
Reaction score
So my LDS will no longer do cave fills. Best they will do is get my +P LP85's to about 2500psi...this sucks. I have been topping them off with my HP tanks but it only puts a few 100 more PSI in them. Any suggestions on what I should build at home to get them in the 3600 range? I've been looking at boosters but then need drive gas, small compressors, cascade tanks I could have refilled (wasteful). Whats the most economical way to boost these tanks myself? I'm find getting a 40% nitrox fill at the LDS then topping off with 21% for the dives I'm doing.

Really just looking for something to hold me over until i'm on a rebreather which is why I was looking at the booster route anyway.

Thanks!

Sounds like a small 3-4 CFM home compressor would cover your needs quite well. You can often find something used in the $2-3K range, then turn around and sell the system in the future if it is not longer needed.

Sounds like a small 3-4 CFM home compressor would cover your needs quite well. You can often find something used in the $2-3K range, then turn around and sell the system in the future if it is not longer needed.

Yea, that would work. Any recommendations for Electric ones? 110v is easy, 220 is doable.

Yea, that would work. Any recommendations for Electric ones? 110v is easy, 220 is doable.
I use a Coltri MCH-6 for my home fill setup and have had very good success. Most users in here will recommend the Junior or similar from Bauer as they are much more robust, but that robustness comes with further expense. Just make sure you stay clear of the cheap paintball filling compressors you find online for a few hundred dollars. Stick with a proper SCUBA compressor vendor like Coltri, Bauer, Alkin, etc. You'll probably want to plan for a 220v system, although 110v units are available. For instance, Coltri sells the unit I have with a 110v motor that basically just runs at a lower speed and slows the flow rate.

Good luck and search around this group as there is a ton of information on these small home compressors.

Back
Top Bottom