It was almost nothing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a great night dive the other night. After reaching the surface, the boast was heading towards us, we are all relaxed and feeling great about the dive and I was enjoying floating on the surface, looking at the moon. Started to prepare myself to take my kit off in the water, so did as I usually do: I clipped off my primary, took off my necklace, and I also turned off my light. My buddy the DM was maybe 10 meters from me.

Next thing I know the boat came right towards me! I was a bit pinned against the front of the hull, the boat moving slowly but I had a second of OH ****! and was able to kick out. WHEW!

I sometimes still see myself going under the hull, getting hit on the head, and no air. Not a fun thought.

Lesson: Keep your light on and the reg in your mouth or hand until you are safely on the boat!

I used to know these things....

- Bill

Lesson: Keep your ... reg in your mouth ... until you are safely on the boat!

- Bill
I keep my reg firmly in place and continue to breathe from it until I am securely aboard the boat (I sometimes breathe it all the way to my station...)

I have gotten used to the stares as I slowly climb up the ladder and lumber onto the boat - but only from those who have never wished they kept their reg in their mouth.

Often as I am coming up the ladder the boat crew are asking "Kathy, how did you enjoy your dive?" but I ignore them and keep my reg in my mouth until I am onboard and have firm footing. It's kind of like the dentist asking "how have you been?" as he stuffs his fingers in your mouth!

And we still see from time to time people saying there's nothing to know/learn about night diving. Keeping the light on until safely aboard the boat should be SOP. I was also taught that on any boat dive--not just at night--to keep the reg in my mouth and mask on my face while climbing up the ladder, in case I fall back in.

Glad you're okay.

On any dive, keep your reg in your mouth till you are out of the water. When boat diving, I insist people on my boat leave it in till they are on the deck.

As to night diving, never turn off your torch (unless to look at the phosphorescence), especially on the surface.

I keep my reg firmly in place and continue to breathe from it until I am securely aboard the boat (I sometimes breathe it all the way to my station...)

I have gotten used to the stares as I slowly climb up the ladder and lumber onto the boat - but only from those who have never wished they kept their reg in their mouth.

First of all, I'm glad all ends well.

I'd say when you would remove the reg out of your mouth depends on the surface condition & the type of boat. If the sea is choppy and you need to climb up a full body length to get on to a big boat, then yes, it is wise to keep the reg & mask on. You may not be happy to drag the BCD & tank on your back up with you after a few times. But if that would make you feel safer, yes, by all means, do it. However, if it is a small boat, like 8-man zodiac boat that is usually used by liveaboard to drop off & pick up divers, on flat sea like typically you have in Raja Ampat, and you would do it 4 times / day in a 12-day liveaboard trip, it would be a good idea to take off all the gears, hand them off to the crew & climb up the 1 or 2 rung ladder with only mask wrap around your neck. You would thank the crew for saving you from back ache by hauling your gears up for you into the zodiac after 40 dives.

Last edited:
I'll try a different tack here - it seems my system is different than others. While guiding, I usually tell my team to turn off their torches as the dingy approaches. I might keep my torch on, but always facing into the water. A bright light into the dingy drivers eyes really suck. In addition, if anyone is going to take their kit off, I make sure that the dingy engine is off or in neutral and the team is closely garthered around, so no one drifts off while the boat is moving. At this point, everyone is within 5m of each other and all torches are off. I am usually the last one that climbs up to the dingy. As far as,keeping regs in my mouth, if it's flat water or a small swell, I take my reg., my hood (permanently attached to my wetsuit), and my mask off (on my next), so I can easily communicate with my team and dingy driver. In general, in most conditions, thus has worked for me.

I'll try a different tack here - it seems my system is different than others. While guiding, I usually tell my team to turn off their torches as the dingy approaches. I might keep my torch on, but always facing into the water. A bright light into the dingy drivers eyes really suck. In addition, if anyone is going to take their kit off, I make sure that the dingy engine is off or in neutral and the team is closely garthered around, so no one drifts off while the boat is moving. At this point, everyone is within 5m of each other and all torches are off. I am usually the last one that climbs up to the dingy. As far as,keeping regs in my mouth, if it's flat water or a small swell, I take my reg., my hood (permanently attached to my wetsuit), and my mask off (on my next), so I can easily communicate with my team and dingy driver. In general, in most conditions, thus has worked for me.

That works fine, if everyone is accounted. With limited visibility, someone could easily get lost. I would never turn off the lights until I get on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom