It's a Bad Day of Diving When...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MSilvia
It's tough to not have regular dive buddies... hopefully I'll be able to get a few friends on board when it feels more like summer, and not have to rely on random strangers when I go out on group dives.

Sure technically I'm still a random stranger as far as diving goes... but drop me a line anytime...

-Jeff

A bad week of diving is when you schedule a week of solitude on the east side of Florida, just to have 10-20 mph winds coming from the East (8++waves). All week no dive boats going out. The day AFTER I fly home dragging all my gear with me the weather patterns change.

Stick a fork in me, I’m Dunn.

Hmmm, Darian, that sounds like my last trip to G.C.
Got there just in time to sit through Hurricane Michelle.
Michelle was a Cat. 4 Hurricane.
30-35+ waves breaking onshore.
7 Mile Beach ended up washed across the street.
Spent most of the week picking up lost turtles after the turtle farm was ravaged.
Wheee!

:mean:

You load up the truck with your wife's and you gear and get you both ready after the boat get's to the spot and your on the hang-bar wait for your wife and she is out of the water faster than she was getting in the water.

Rich :(

Its a bad day diving when you arrive for a beach dive and all is calm when you enter the water and by the time you start to make your way back to the beach it's surfs up. No kidding this was a very bad experience for me. I had sand in all my gear and lost a fin and a dive light while being slammed in to the sand bottom by waves repeatedly. I would have swam down the beach farther to a more calm spot but we where diving from an alcove type beach with rocks on both sides of the beach. Trying to get out on the rocks that day would have been certain serious bodily injury or death so sand and surf was the only way out. Worst part about it was that it was like my very first open water dive after certification. Good thing I got over that one and kept diving or I would have missed out on allot of really nice stuff.

Anyway, that was one of my worst dive experience although the dive itself was pretty nice.

:spew:

I know I'm going to have a long bad day of diving when the dive boat is leaving the Jupiter or Palm Beach inlet and 6 - 8 foot waves are crashing over the bow.

:puke:

Bad is when when I get clearance from the wife to go diving, and then it pours and blows like it did this past Saturday......

Since the Cape Cod site I was going to be diving was blown out, I signed up for a "Weed Pulling Volunteer Dive" at a local pond, aka "solo muck diving"...;-)

The weeds in question are some sort of non-native invasive species that are very hard to control without massive amounts of pesticide or manual pulling.

I did 2 x 1 hour long dives in the pouring rain -- max depth of about 10 feet. Vis was almost nil, since the bottom was very silty. With the vis so bad, I often didn't spot the plants until they were right front of my face. They had stalks rising 5-6 feet off the bottom. The procedure was to follow the stem down into the muck to find the root ball and then pull and stuff into a mesh "catch bag". Sometimes the swirling silt was so thick it became absolutely pitch black and no vis at all. I often couldn't read my Vyper even though I had it inches from my face. A few times when I was reaching down into the mud, I started thinking about snapping turtles (The house I grew up in had a little pond out back that always had snapping turtles in it).... Once the bag was full, you surfaced and passed to people in boats. I kept stuffing them so full they couldn't get the things into the boat -- kind of funny.

So I guess it wasn't that bad -- bad would have been not diving at all. It was certainly a learning experience.

My worst day of diving was when I got certified. Go to Nassau & all dive ops are closed f/ 2 days due to a storm. Day three we finally get out on boat, drop anchor & I puke over the side. DM briefs us about what he's going to be testing us on. In the middle of the briefing, I'm puking. Finally get in the water-waves are huge crashing over our heads-I puke. Do all the surface stuff, now we start to descend-I puke through my reg. Back on the boat...yep, :puke: thats right. I somehow manage to get everything done & I get my OW cert. I figure after that it can only get better.

Summary of a really bad dive day:

1) My dive club sends out an email bulletin advising members to sign up for a boat trip, so I book the trip. But, the night before the trip, I get another email advising me that most of the members have decided to do a beach dive on this day instead. I was the only person from my club that showed up for the boat trip.

2) The drive to the boat was 1hr 40min.

2) Half of the divers on board were with an OW class doing their check out dives. The instructor asks the captain to take the boat to easy and shallow (boring) dive spots.

3) I could not stop my octo from free flowing. So, I did my first dive without the use of my right arm (which was busy holding the octo with the mouthpice faced down). Since I was not able to fix the problem, I sat out the rest of the 10 hr dive trip.

4) It was raining.

5) I tried to make field repairs on my broken octo with the crappy "scuba tool" in the rain, and ended up cutting my thumb.

6) I flooded my TAG Heuer GMT.

7) The sun came up as the boat was returning to the Harbor.

8) The drive back was home 2.5 hours. I ended up arriving late and missing the first 3 innings of the Dodger game that I had greats seats for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom