"It's like I died and went to Confined Water heaven..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacob's Aquatic Center in Key Largo is more than adequate for me.

4655664058_198d3f63cf_z.jpg

It has a deep end (with one of the diveboards closed off).

img_3904.jpg

It has lap lanes where we can stand.

Pirate-Ship-Play-Area.jpg

It even has a place for our DM candidates to practice.

Nice. Looks like boat captains can practice in that last shot too. They gotta be able to make the brrrrmmmmm brrmmmmm noise with their lips.

They also get to practice nautical speak like "Ahoy thar matey!"

RJP I assume it is only for Rutgers students signed up for an official class?? Is there any mechanism for rec divers to come and play around in the pool and practice their skills ? Thanks

Sure. Become a DM, slave around for a few years, do an IDC, become an EFR instructor, pass your IE, pay all your fees, buy insurance, and become a teaching status OWSI...

But seriously, it's hard enough to get pool time for classes. I'm going to recommend running scheduled "skills clinics" so stay tuned.

PS - you don't need to be a registered student to take a class with the Rutgers scuba program, which offers everything from Discover Scuba programs all the way through the full Instructor Development Course. They might be the best kept scuba secret in NJ; I was floored to learn today that Rutgers issues ~500 scuba certifications a year. They also do some local dive charters and even do some dive travel.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 08:49 PM ----------

This isn't Rutgers, is it?

That, or someone painted R U T G E R S on the bottom of the Princeton U pool in 8-foot tall scarlet letters as part of an elaborate senior prank.

:d

Last edited:
They also do some local dive charters and even do some dive travel.

They come talk to me every year at BTS. We just haven't quite gotten a commitment yet.

They come talk to me every year at BTS. We just haven't quite gotten a commitment yet.

Funny - I was singing the Spree's praises as the perfect "Jersey diver's" liveaboard to divers at Rutgers today.

Last edited:
Jacob's Aquatic Center in Key Largo is more than adequate for me.

Wow. Been within a couple blocks of that dozens of times and did not realize it was there. Will keep in mind if I am down there with the grandson. He would like the water park.

Certainly as good as any football stadium is.

Football stadiums are normally paid for by proceeds from Football Ticket sales and Alumni donations regarding football-related events. That is actually probably where some of the money for that awesome dive center came from.....the football team.

On topic: That's a gorgeous facility. Virginia Tech has a Scuba Club that used to be ultra-active and is starting to pick back up after a bout of poor academic advisorship.

Back
Top Bottom