"It's like I died and went to Confined Water heaven..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the nearby schools that I know of with active scuba clubs/groups they also have active scuba academic programs so that students get PE or academic credit. They sometimes also have some sort of marine science program. There are several types of program that require or encourage scuba training. It is not so easy if it is just a club that operates by itself. Then it is more likely to wax and wane over the years.

I was approached by one scuba club about being an academic advisor. After reading a rather long detailed official document about what that meant the bottom line is that it is supposed to be student lead, the advisor has no authority, the advisor does have some responsibility, and there is a yearly turn over in club officers. I did not say no but the student got busy and did not get back in touch after I had a couple questions.

Looks like a good use of tax dollars.

The dollars came from Sonny Werblin. Rutgers alum who became President of MCA Television, Chairman of Madison Square Garden, and as the original owner of the NY Jets he single-handedly negotiated the AFL's initial television contract with NBC. This gave the league near parity with the NFL and lead to a little development known as The Super Bowl and eventually the NFL/AFL merger. He's also largely credited with having invented the modern day concept of the larger-than-life "sports star as cultural icon" in Joe Namath. He later built and managed the Meadowlands Sports complex, negotiating the move of the NY Giants to NJ.

Before all that he was the manager of the Rutgers Swim team in 1931. Seems he left a few dollars behind for a pool and a few other things. (Oh, yeah... he also funded the football stadium in the 80's.)

SHRDBUSCH0367_pg.jpg

Rutgers-U-Rec-Ctr-square-01-460x460.jpg

:dropmouth:All that pool needs is some concrete tubes sunk into the bottom for overhead training!!

Back
Top Bottom