Its so simple

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to your item #2, no, not everybody is well prepared (that is true with every human activity). Personally, I enjoy helping other people, so their unpreparedness is sometimes an opportunity for me to be useful.

On one dive trip in Cozumel we had an older (late 60's?) paraplegic guy in a wheelchair, who was helped into the water by the DMs and two lady friends. He used hand fins to swim. I'll bet their dive was the best one of anybody on the boat.

See that would be cool and I would enjoy helping people with equipment issues. My comment about being unprepared wasnt refering to that. We did a total of 16 dives, and on all but 2 there were "experienced" divers that were:

- Terrified of a back roll entry.
- Sucked their air back at an allarming rate. One buddy pair was sent to the surface 15 min into the dive. You could see he was almost paniced the way he was breathing. Had zero boancy control. Yet claimed to be an experienced diver with over 30 dives. (after our 16, im not sure you can be "experienced" after only 30 dives, I still feel like a novice)
- Had no clue on how to set up their gear. I did help here.
- Sort of ticked me off on how much of the bottom some of them can kick up. Eg, I found a turtle under a ledge and avoided kicking or finning so that everyone could get a look. Used my breath, or lungs to control my boancy to avoid stirring up the sand. Another guy found a nurse shark under some coral, but proceeded to lay on the sand, and then "manouver" for a view (and a picture). By the time my daughter got a look, she said all she could see was a sand cloud.

We did meet some great people as well though too. That is the cool part of diving, meeting the different people. I just wished that a few of the divers would spend some more time in a pool instead of "talking" a good game so they dont have to do a pool check.

great thread. I will be going for training this month I think and look forward to my daughters taking an interest. From what I can tell, diving is still cheaper than my other hobby, photography, unless I mix them, then the prices get crazy. Can't wait to get schooled up and hit the water!

Greetings Solar Storm and congratulations on your certifications. I think you have the correct reasoning, " (after our 16, im not sure you can be "experienced" after only 30 dives, I still feel like a novice)" Solar Storm.
I hope I never stop feeling like a novice! You have learned a valuable lesson that will serve you well in the future. NEVER STOP LEARNING!
NOT ALL EXPERIENCED DIVERS ARE! Commit to being the best diver you can be, train hard and master your skills. Research and seek information about diving to determine what your dive goals will be. You have embarked on the most amazing rewarding adventures with your daughter. This I know first hand doing so last summer. The time we shared was amazing! Treasure it and dive often building your experience always in a safe manor.
I would encourage you to get involved in your local dive scene, whether through a local dive shop or club. This will give you multiple resources to draw from for dive information. Scuba Board is another great place to find information as well.
Welcome to the dive community, we really do have more fun! I have met some unbelievable characters and made life long friends all over the world!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

Back
Top Bottom