It's Torture, I tell ya...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in Cabo in December, I saw a trick that involved using air from the second stage to "inflate" a stuborn wetsuit. It worked. Unfortunately, I was laughing so hard I didn't pay attention to exactly what the DM did. Can someone add to this?

I always wear a Lycra dive skin under my 7mm ScubaPro wet suit and dont have any problems putting it on or taking it off.So Skins may be the way to go.

santafejoe:
I always wear a Lycra dive skin under my 7mm ScubaPro wet suit and dont have any problems putting it on or taking it off.So Skins may be the way to go.

The big problem with the skin is that it increases water circulation which actually increases heat loss.
I have a 7mm semi dry and normally the only water inside the suit is my own sweat.
If I wear a skin the wrist and ankle seals lose their effect and water circulates as if it was a normal wet suit.
I found that skins only have a beneficial effect when using a 5mm wet suit or less because then the contribution that the skin makes in terms of an additional thermal layer is greater than the heat loss due to increased water circulation.

trucker girl:
I will be diving probably both Sunday and Monday and I will vary my wetsuit strategy among various types of bags, panty hose and conditioner... I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!

And, no, I'm not taking a camera so poo on you!

Diving Sunday eh? At Gilboa? Hubby, Notsoken and I will be there on the deep side Sunday morning for a couple of dives. Should I bring the video camera :eyebrow:
Ber :lilbunny:

Henderson Hyperstretch. I know you don't want a new one...but if you ever do...don't get anything else, unless you want to repeat the struggle!

Good luck, can't wait to hear the results with the conditioner, I hope it's bio friendly...

Britt :fish:
:fish:

:lol: Loved the linked story. That member needs to write professionally. She could be the Dave Barry of the diving community.

I had similar experiences to trucker girl's trying to get into a jane and jacket combo. I'm much happier with my Aqualung Aquaflex 7mm. I use the roll technique. It goes on relatively quickly and easily. No struggling. No additional layers.

miketsp:
The big problem with the skin is that it increases water circulation which actually increases heat loss.
I have a 7mm semi dry and normally the only water inside the suit is my own sweat.
If I wear a skin the wrist and ankle seals lose their effect and water circulates as if it was a normal wet suit.
I found that skins only have a beneficial effect when using a 5mm wet suit or less because then the contribution that the skin makes in terms of an additional thermal layer is greater than the heat loss due to increased water circulation.

I really have not had any problem .I was at 50ft in 57 degree water in May at the quarry i go to and was not cold at all.

I wear a Bare XXXL 2 piece (farmer john + jacket) 7mm wetsuit (the water is typically 54 Deg F in the summer). I have a very hard time getting the farmer johns on. Once I'm at the dive site, I need to start donning early just so i can finish late - if I take too long, I'll get left behind.
The suit fits well (much better than the XXL), once it's on. The problem is getting it on my legs and feet. I have to really work hard to pull it on, then once it's on, I have to be concerned with overheating due to the herculean efforts to get it on.
I think I'll try the pantyhose trick on my dive tomorrow morning. I'm pretty secure in myself, so that's not a problem. Since most of the people I dive with dive dry (and wear precious little under their drysuit underwear, it won't look funny for me to do the ol' change at the car door thing. I just have to figure out the best size. And if someone decides to video tape me, then I'll have to worry about what color looks best with my trunks.
If it works, I'll have to figure a way to explain it to my wife...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom