I’ve got mail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silty Sam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This morning while diving in the Venice Boneyard, I repeatedly heard a “buzz, buzz” in the water, seeming to emanate from my gear. It was the sound similar to what you hear when you receive a text on a phone set to vibrate. My phone was on the boat.

My Perdix AI was not trying to get my attention. I was all alone. It recurred regularly. It might have been coming from my first stage, but I already asked my dive buddy/reg tech, and it was not something he knew about.

When I mentioned this back on the boat, the captain and DM said they remembered someone else voicing the same concern, but didn’t have any other insight.

Anyone here have an answer?

This morning while diving in the Venice Boneyard, I repeatedly heard a “buzz, buzz” in the water, seeming to emanate from my gear. It was the sound similar to what you hear when you receive a text on a phone set to vibrate. My phone was on the boat.

My Perdix AI was not trying to get my attention. I was all alone. It recurred regularly. It might have been coming from my first stage, but I already asked my dive buddy/reg tech, and it was not something he knew about.

When I mentioned this back on the boat, the captain and DM said they remembered someone else voicing the same concern, but didn’t have any other insight.

Is it correlated with your inhalation or exhalation?

Is it correlated with your inhalation or exhalation?
Didn’t seem to be correlated to anything I was doing. I could hear it “in the clear” between in/ex, and I could hear it under my bubbles.

~snip~
Hmm... odd indeed!

Need more details...
Full or empty tank?​
How deep were you when it occurred?​
What first/second stage reg are you using?​
Transient noise or constant despite breathing cycles?​

Unless its a Scubapro MKVII 'Honker' its unlikely (but not impossible) that there is a certain harmonic being created?

Hmm... odd indeed!

Need more details...
Full or empty tank?​
How deep were you when it occurred?​
What first/second stage reg are you using?​
Transient noise or constant despite breathing cycles?​

Unless its a Scubapro MKVII 'Honker' its unlikely (but not impossible) that there is a certain harmonic being created?
Scubapro MK19 EVO and G250, both serviced before the trip. Depth was consistent 35’; heard sound throughout the dive, so tank volume didn‘t seem to matter. Heard it on seven dives over three days.

Didn’t seem to be correlated to anything I was doing. I could hear it “in the clear” between in/ex, and I could hear it under my bubbles.
Did other divers hear it as well? If so, I’d guess it was something else in the water at/near the site as sound travels a fair distance (esp low frequencies) and is quite non-directional underwater (why beeping dive computers are annoying!).

Maybe you have "phone users ear", where your brain remembers all the times your CEL phone has vibrated and plays it back to you....kind of like tinnitus, but not as annoying. :yeahbaby:

Anybody nearby diving with a Garmin transmitter?

Could it have been a nearby boat or construction activity?

Sounds carry through water very differently from on land, so it may have been something far away. A hood will further limit your ability to clearly hear what a sound is, or where it's coming from.

Back
Top Bottom