I've lost it ....and I can't get it back!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudguppy

Reaction score
Help me out again.

Has anyone that has been diving inland gone warm ocean diving and then lost the interest to continue to do the inland diving?

I seem to have lost the desire for the inland diving since diving Malaysia.

Any suggetstion on how to get back to enjoying it are welcome!!!

:tree: Mudguppy :confined:

MG,

You have to decide how strong your love for diving really is. If you have the means to only do blue water diving then by all means go for it. If you are like the rest of us you will enjoy getting wet and wetting your gills in any kind of water there is.

Take none of it for granted, there are plenty of sights to see in green water just as in blue water, they are just harder to find.

ID

Sounds strange, I know. If you haven't allready got an appetite for crawdads (crayfish to some) try them and see if you like them. Most people I know love them. Now take that desire for a nice bunch of them with you diving. Go down and do a fresh water bug hunt and see if that helps you enjoy it more. You have something to do and get rewarded for it!

Later, Hawk.

Gee I hope I never suffer the same fate! I guess I'm lucky, I still find lots to enjoy at home in the fresh water lakes and and rivers - almost as much as I find when diving in warmer waters.

The key for me is looking for interesting "stuff", and diving with good friends. I'm always finding something new to look at - even at dive sites that I've been to many times.

don't care what color the water is... well, I do draw the line when it thick and the color of chocolate syrup..... did 2 dives at Lake Travis this morning.... Vis was 10-15' and at 40' temp was 73 degrees.

Don't worry. It will cure itself with time. Soon you will gearing up for "training" dives in the closest pool.

I use inland stuff to work on skills, buoyancy, drills, etc. for when I do "real" dives... I plan to make quite a few more local quarry trips before a big NC wreck trip in a couple months...nothing like a quarry with decent vis to work on your gear configuration and skills for when you really need them in the ocean..

Not to mention it gives you a chance to learn from other divers and get involved in your local dive scene. You could try joining a local club too. The more divers you meet locally the more buddies you have and the more opportunities you find to go and dive neat places with the new friends you meet.

I had a thread a while back about whats the purpose of your diving. There were many different answers there. Some folks dive just for the fun of it. Others hunted for dinner. Some folks collected things like old bottles.

How good are you with a compass in low viz and you don't have the bottom for visual reference?

How about using a lift bag? Move something around underwater.

Maybe collect trash off the bottom and lift bag it to the surface and then dispose of it properly.

If your favorite local dive site has some sunken objects maybe you could do some training as though your were doing an archeological study of the site.

Hi MG,
Many amateur divers come to a stage where they either find something to do with their diving skills or give up diving.
I have been having some fun lately solo diving a stretch of old fresh water moorings where there are lots of bottles. I have found many milk bottles from around the late 1800's, most are badly scratched and are not worth anything, but its lots of fun looking, I have recovered one old mineral stoneware bottle, maybe I will get lucky and find a coloured cod. I suppose it is the marine equivalent of a rummage in a rubbish dump, I find it more enjoyable than diving the local popular training sites. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom