jacksons point lake simcoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptbodiver

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about diving at Jacksons point Lake Simcoe and looking for any information from anyone who has been there.In particular exact directions and quality of dive

At the top right of your Scuba board screen you'll see a search function that can help track down not only info on the location but the divers that know the area and that you could consider sending private messages to if you had specifics to ask.

There are several good previous discussions on this topic that can be found searching "Lake Simcoe", one is:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34539&highlight=lake+simcoe

Hope that helps. This board is a goldmine of info. Keeping sifting for the nuggets....

I've been there in July. Can't recall exact driving directions., but you should be able to locate them if you do search on scubabord or google I believe.

Shallow, lots of fish and fishermans :)

If you take 48 north and turn at Sutton. then north again into Jacksons point, you should find your way out to the point. look for a Bonnie's boats sign , turn in there and keep going past bonnies marina up & to your right. Go to the end and you will find a parking area. There is a submerged marine railway there that is pretty neat. The entry is easy and the conditions are usually good due to the protected nature of the bay. There are lots of fish. On a nice day there can be some boat traffic too.

A good map will show you the way to the point, better than my directions here. PM me for a map.

if you are coming from the Peterborough area, just take highway 7 west through Lindsay all the way to #12, just north of Whitby. Go north on #12 about 10 minutes to #48. Go west on #48 to High St. in Sutton and go to Dalton Rd. Turn right going north on Dalton to Lake Dr. Turn right (east) on Lake and go to the 2nd street. Turn left here and go all the way to the end. A quick right will get you to the spot.

I live there and often travel along #7 to bypass traffic and cut time when going to Brockville which is where you should be diving. Jackson's point is about a 5 minute dive in less than 15 feet of water looking at a pile of sticks while 30 people line the pier trying to hook you with their fishing rods.

I was there earlier on this year...
As cse mentioned - bring a knife or two - our bouy got caught in some fisherman's line and we had to cut it as we couldn't remove it.
The railways not too bad and there are quite a bit of fish there.
I've got some pics of when I went. The only thing is you'll likely have to play around with the brightness/contrast a little as these are just the scanned in images with no alterations.

http://hmandoda.tripod.com/jacksonspt.zip

If you really wanna see fish, I was just at the J.C Morrison this weekend and I couldn't believe the amount of fish there! Probably 10x more than Jacksons...

boney once bubbled...
If you really wanna see fish, I was just at the J.C Morrison this weekend and I couldn't believe the amount of fish there! Probably 10x more than Jacksons...

What was the vis like? My first dive there Oct 2001 was great. Big bass, some perch and other asst small fish. Vis was decent (at least 25 feet) and had a great time. Every dive since the vis has been poor to terrible. Last one was July 31 this year. We got there about a half hour before they closed the parking lot to prep for the long weekend celebrations. Vis was maybe 10 feet.

On topic. We did Jackson's Point summer of 2002, shortly after my wife certified. Had great vis, warm water (wore just the johns part of our suits) and hundreds of small fish. She found buoyancy inthe shallow depths challenging, but good practice. Would do it again, except for the fairly long drive from where we live. We were holidaying at the time and camped at Sibbald Point.

It was about the same - around 25ft. Didn't see many big fish but definately the smaller ones.
Apparently there is a wreck around there too but we couldn't find it. Had to turn back due to air but I did find a big fish. It was dead though....

Back
Top Bottom