Jakarta airport question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 layovers in Jakarta. On the way down (to sorong) and back.

On the way down: does anyone know many hours before a flight Garuda will let you check bags?

Can I check them with Garuda 3 hours before the flight? 6 hours?

Between jakarta and sorong I have a gap in time I don't need to have my bags with me and would prefer to get them checked so that when it's time to leave i can head straight to the departure area without having to check my bags. I'm aware of the in airport hotels but I don't need my bags there and would prefer to hand them over to Garuda early if possible. Anyone know their policy?

On the reverse trip to home I have a gap in time for an Asiana flight to Seoul. Anyone know how far in advance I can check bags with them? If possible I would like to do it 10-12 hours in advance but that seems unlikely.

Thanks. 2 weeks to departure....excited!

On the way down: does anyone know many hours before a flight Garuda will let you check bags?

Between jakarta and sorong I have a gap in time I don't need to have my bags with me and would prefer to get them checked so that when it's time to leave i can head straight to the departure area without having to check my bags. I'm aware of the in airport hotels but I don't need my bags there and would prefer to hand them over to Garuda early if possible. Anyone know their policy?

On the reverse trip to home I have a gap in time for an Asiana flight to Seoul. Anyone know how far in advance I can check bags with them? If possible I would like to do it 10-12 hours in advance but that seems unlikely.

When I flew Garuda last week, I arrived at the airport at 9:30 p.m. for a 12:10 a.m. flight. There was no problem checking bags that early, and this was a domestic flight from Jakarta to Sorong.

Garuda has a chat feature on their website and they are very responsive. You might want to take that route to get the details.

Yeah, I visited the site but in other places I've noted local airport staff seem to have variance with what's documented on the site. Sometimes for the better sometimes the worse.

Example: they say that domestic airport counter checking at jakarta isn't avail >120minutes preflight. But you checked in nearly 3 hours before.

Site also says You can do kiosk check in up to 8 hours pre flight for domestic in jakarta but I'm not sure that will include bag drop at a counter.

I'll try the chat. I didn't look for it when I checked their site before.

In the Jarkarta domestic terminal, the ticket counters don't open until 2 hours before the flight

Consider temporarily storing your bags with an excess baggage service at the airport

it would be great if you could update on what happens as i have a similar PITA layovers late December

it would be great if you could update on what happens as i have a similar PITA layovers late December
Sure will do.

Anyone here who believes they have the answer based on one or two runs through the Jakarta airport is fooling themselves. After MANY experiences in the Jakarta domestic terminals, I can tell you the only answer is, "I don't know." I have seen check-ins open 3, 2.5, and 2 hours early. Checking luggage earlier than that? I would say probably not...but maybe...but I doubt it.

This is painting with a broad brush, but, IN GENERAL, unlike the US where we value employees who improvise on the fly, a good employee here adheres to policy, procedures, the sop, etc... If the counter is to open at 10:15, the counter will open at 10:15.

Asiana won't have employees in Jakarta and will just be using the same people that check customers in for other international airlines with a small presence in Jakarta. That process will start usually three hours early.

There are several airport hotel options in Terminal 2 and 3. That is where I would head.

Question: Has anyone taken the airport train from to city centre? I see the train mentioned on websites but Google's directions don't include it and i haven't seen it mentioned here.
Background: 12 hr layover in Jakarta at the end of the month

Question: Has anyone taken the airport train from to city centre? I see the train mentioned on websites but Google's directions don't include it and i haven't seen it mentioned here.
Background: 12 hr layover in Jakarta at the end of the month
Not a horrible idea. The train is very easy, reliable, and not an issue. Where you get off in Central Jakarta is about a five-minute walk to the MRT where you could head a few stations north to the Hotel Indonesia Roundabout (Bundaran HI) and giant malls, good restaurants, and walkable things to do. Or you could head a few stations south and get off at the Istoria station and walk around SCBD area- more shopping and good food and bars. The spaces in between are just massive buildings and office space.

All this being said, do know next month is full-on rainy season, and walking Jakarta in the rain ain't much fun. Jakarta in a full-on downpour can be an absolute nightmare. I have to ask, what are you hoping to do?

Not a horrible idea. The train is very easy, reliable, and not an issue. Where you get off in Central Jakarta is about a five-minute walk to the MRT where you could head a few stations north to the Hotel Indonesia Roundabout (Bundaran HI) and giant malls, good restaurants, and walkable things to do. Or you could head a few stations south and get off at the Istoria station and walk around SCBD area- more shopping and good food and bars. The spaces in between are just massive buildings and office space.

All this being said, do know next month is full-on rainy season, and walking Jakarta in the rain ain't much fun. Jakarta in a full-on downpour can be an absolute nightmare. I have to ask, what are you hoping to do?
looking to eat some local food might be good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom