Jamaica Scuba Divers - Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dana272

Registered
Reaction score
I dove w/ Jamaica Scuba Divers on May 1, 2006. I was staying at Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort in Ocho Rios. Jamaica Scuba Divers provided free transportation to and from my resort to their dive boat located at FDR Pebbles in Runaway Bay if I purchased two or more tanks. I paid $90US and it included two tanks, weights, BCD, reg/gauges. I paid $10 US for wet suit rental and $10 US for my non-diving husband to ride along.

Jamaica Scuba Divers operate out of FDR Pebbles and Royal Decameron resorts in Runaway Bay and they are allowed to bring divers in from other resorts to dive w/them.

I had a good experience w/them and would recommend them. Their equipment was in excellent condition. The boat was small but they didn't take many out at one time. We dove a reef and then went to a site that had a ship wreck and a plane wreck.

As everyone has stated, diving isn't the best in Jamaica, but heck if you are there, why not dive!

I have heard stories about it not being good, so is it worth doing or not?, worth 100$? what kind of critters did you see?

IMHO, you don't go to Jamaica to dive. But, if you are there, go for it. I was in Runaway Bay (just west of Ocho Rios) last December, and the reefs were pretty bleached out, the fish were on the light side, but it was still fun.

:jpshakehe :azvatar: Thanks for the report. My heart breaks as I thought the diving was ment to be amazing., we were planning to go. Is any where in Carribean with brilliant diving?

Just read some other threads here and you'll find there are lot's of great diving in the Caribbean. Some of the more populated islands have some over-fishing issues, and there is some coral bleaching taking place in some areas.

It all depends where you dive. i've dove spots in Negril that all the coral is bleached and there aren't many fish. i've also dove some sites that are really nice, huge coral, lots of fish, etc..

the deeper you go, the better it seems to be.

if you're looking for the worlds best diving, Jamaica isn't it. but then again the beauty of Jamaica is the island and it's people...

candy Jade, you're in Australia and you're looking for a better place to dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom