Jammed yoke adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

free84dom

New
Reaction score
Hi,

The yoke adaptor for my apeks first stage (DIN) is jammed. I can't seem to be able to remove it from the DIN connector. So far i have tried heating it in hot water and using a pair of clamps, to no avail. Any idea how i can do so without scratching the adaptor itself?

I bought an Apeks adapter for my wife's XTX-100. It's round with a free spinning yoke clamp. No place to grip. Mounting it to a tank didn't work. I was forced to use a pipe wrench on it and have since tossed it into the junk box. I'm using an XS adapter now, much easier to work with. I was beyond anger when I looked at such a simple piece of kit with such a stupid design. What were they thinking?

Get a strap wrench that you can grip the din wheel with and a large bar (screwdriver) that you can stick inside the legs of the yoke to exert some serious turning force. Remove all hoses and the yoke screw and put the 1st stage in the freezer for a couple hours. Then have a pan of hot water to dip the yoke in almost up to the 1st stage. With the male threads cold and the female threads hot, you should be able to develop a little space to let it unscrew. Give it a minute or so in the hot water and then use the strap wrench and bar to unscrew it. If it doesn't work the first time, give it a couple more tries.

If you have left the adapter on for some time, you may even have some corrosion holding that connection. If that is the case, you may want to do some soaking in addition to the hot/cold treatments to loosen that up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom