Jan 14, 15, 16 Pensacola/Gulf Shores trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RocketMan:
Mike is in Gatlinburg until Tuesday.

yup.... Only diving I'll see here is in the Aquarium here.... but I doubt
it'll be me diving. Most likely I'll just be forking over some $$$ to walk
around the aquarium. But they've got one of those cool underwater
glass tunnels. so should be cool. I'll snap some pics and post them.

Of course he's doesn't seem to like cool water. He thought I was crazy for diving on the 17th in 58 degree water.

yep. We all thought you were crazy. But I will have to admit I didn't
think the water would be anywhere as warm as 58. I was guessing 44-50f max.

Of course your teeth were still chattering when I talked to you that night....

mike_s:
yup.... Only diving I'll see here is in the Aquarium here....

Well Mike there is the stream in front of the Aquarium. It should be a few degrees about freezing. :scared:

Paul, figure out some prices and maybe I can join you :)

SuPrBuGmAn:

I'll know more this week, hopefully. I'll call Gary and see if there's any possibilities. Otherwise, it'll be springs/shore diving.

Went out yesterday 12/30/05 seas 1-3 vis anywhere from 60-70 to 15-25 depending on the site water temp 62. Dove the Avocet, Penhall Reef, 21 Hole, and the Russian Freighter. Avocet loaded with huge AJ's, and Penhall had lots of Black Grouper. Vis worsened as we got closer to shore. We were boarded by Wild Life and Fisheries who were looking for Red Snapper and licenses. Overall a great day off Pensacola!

paulithepin:
Went out yesterday 12/30/05 seas 1-3 vis anywhere from 60-70 to 15-25 depending on the site water temp 62. Dove the Avocet, Penhall Reef, 21 Hole, and the Russian Freighter. Avocet loaded with huge AJ's, and Penhall had lots of Black Grouper. Vis worsened as we got closer to shore. We were boarded by Wild Life and Fisheries who were looking for Red Snapper and licenses. Overall a great day off Pensacola!

Did you have your own boat, or go on a charter? I've always wanted to do the Avocet, but could never get anybody to go out there. I've dived the Russian freighter, but the other 2 are unknown to me. I'll have to look them up.

Interested in going out again on the 14, 15, or 16th?

RocketMan:
Well Mike there is the stream in front of the Aquarium. It should be a few degrees about freezing. :scared:

Well, someone had thrown some coins in the stream under one of the walking bridges.... my wife did suggest that I could have brought my dive gear and dove for it. I'm sure tha water was much colder than Bluewater though.

The Smokies Aqarium was ok... but MUCH smaller than anticpated, extremely crowded, very fishy smelling and some of the fish didn't look in that great of shape. I'll post a seperate report on it (eventuallY) in case other reghional divers want to visit.

SuPrBuGmAn:

It will be an inshore dive (10mi or less) at $60. 14th or 15th (or 16th, depending on interest). Leaving from Perdido Pass Marina. For possible dive sites, check out http://www.gulfdiver.net.

I'm counting on you, Mat. Even if I have to subsidize your trip. Keep the weekend open, and we'll at least do the springs. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a DiveYak.

I think I can stomach $60. You know I'm hard up for a dive if I'm willing to shell out $$! Open for multiple days of getting wet if you pickup that Yak. I can borrow a Ocean Kayak to keep up with your pace if needbe, less you wanna eat my wake! :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
I think I can stomach $60. You know I'm hard up for a dive if I'm willing to shell out $$! Open for multiple days of getting wet if you pickup that Yak. I can borrow a Ocean Kayak to keep up with your pace if needbe, less you wanna eat my wake! :D

Paddle????Paddle??? I'm hooking up a solar-powered trolling motor! 50lbs of thrust and no exhaust!

Eat my bubbles.

Seriously, if the boat doesn't fill, we'll definitely dive that weekend. I'm free Sat. Sun and Monday...

Paul

Back
Top Bottom