January 3rd Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty, I have a LP95 or an AL80 you can use. There are a couple that mentioned they could dive later in the day. I can dive whenever, since I'm more or less on vacation for the next few months, so it doesn't matter to me. Maybe FTLDiver or DebbieDiver can mention what time would be good for them, and we'll go based on that. FYI: With you diving in Jupiter in the am, you will probably have to leave Ft. Lauderdale by 7 to have enough time to do paperwork, load equipment, etc.

Sounds like a plan - email is scottychristofferson@Hotmail.com easier to check email on my blackberry than scubaboard pm's once I leave, name a time and place and I will join you. I am partial to the LP95, I am not a airhog by anymeans, but the more the better (I am used to diving HP130 and am big enough guy I can carry it fine for shore diving.)

Out of curiousity, if the seas do not cooperate - is the Blue Herron Bridge still an option? I know nothing of it, but I heard it mentioned as a good back up plan dive.

For BHB, we would need to be in the water at 10am. It's a tidal site, so if you aren't in at high tide, current can be strong, and visibility can be really horrible. As far as waves, it's never really a problem there because it's so protected. Since nobody else has decided on a time or place, and there will be some waves, I think maybe a place that not too far out would be best, so how about 2pm at the Yellow Brick Road. On your GPS, you can enter Johnson Road, Hollywood. There is a lot between Johnson Road and Michigan where you can park. Don't back in, and make sure you pay the machine and put your receipt on your dash where they can see it, because they are always checking and ticketing people.

I will post a brief dive report from my dives on Jan 2 with JDC to give you an idea..

MPH, sent you a PM - what are the water temps this time of year? I have a 3mm, just need to know if I should bring the hooded vest, or just stick with the Bennie.

I'd bring the hooded vest if you plan on spending any length of time in the water. You really don't want that icy cold feeling shooting down your spine.

I was in last night at the same location. It was 70 degrees. When we got out it was 70 or warmer. I didn't wear a hood last night, I did earlier in the week. It will be a little cooler Sunday, and I will probably wear a hood. I only use a 1mil, but I'm from MI. I would at least bring it in case. While some people from Florida think 70 is "icy cold", it rarely hits 70 on the surface of Lake Huron, where most of my diving has been done. I've done several dives wet when it was 42 at the thermocline (hey, I never said I was all that bright) ;-)

Jupiter 63F at 95 feet. 6'+ seas with a rolling 8' rogue over the back a few times.

Jupiter 63F at 95 feet. 6'+ seas with a rolling 8' rogue over the back a few times.

Sounds like diving in North Carolina - fun times await - I am packed and ready to go. Do the boats actually go out in 6+feet seas? We have some crew boats that will - six packs usually stay at home.

Here are some pix from the trip:
scorpion.jpg

queenangel.jpg

ybw.jpg

nurseshark.jpg

DSCN3252a.jpg

not the best in the world as I had some strobe issues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom