January Coz Report & Video – Blue Angel Resort & Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
6th time back to Coz – 1st time in January… ‘think I found the ideal time to be there. 80 to 82 every day of the nine I stayed & dove there, w/ the typical intermittent clouds rolling in & out, with surprisingly mild winds. This was particularly nice considering its 4 below zero here in Minneapolis today! ‘Didn’t seem as busy as even the times I’ve gone in the fall low season – but it certainly isn’t a low season for cruise ships! Almost every day – 5 floating monsters rolled in & out. My wife & 20 yr old son joined me the 1st half of the week, & a dive buddy (1st time to Coz) came down to join me the 2nd half. We all were comfortable in 5 ml full wetsuits, with water temps in the upper 70’s. Current was RIPPING the 1st half of the week (my son loved it, wife…not so much). Night dive @ Paradise was spectacular – lost count of how many octopus encounters, but got a wonderful close-up shot of a tiny juvenile one. Norman, (good find by the way) Blue Angel DM did a great job veering us away from other dive parties coming upon us. Saw usual fare all week – MANY hawksbills from young to some of the biggest, visibly oldest I’ve ever seen. Several free swimming nurse sharks & fat green morays – including the big old toothless moray who hangs out @ the cave on Tormentos. The size of the crabs (lobsters too!) just blows me away –many just hangin’ outside of their caves/holes in the middle of the day. Viability was generally very good the whole week.

This is now my 3rd time staying & diving with Blue Angel. Their excellent reputation precedes them many times over. Simple,clean, super convenient lodging right on the water – with the dive shop & recently remodeled & upgraded restaurant a few steps away. I know & completely trust the veteran dive staff – even with a couple new divers @ my side this time around. 6-pack boats are fast & reliable. We ate breakfast (included w/dive package) & lunch @ the upstairs restaurant, & all but a couple nights walked to town for dinner (I’ve never been an “all inclusive” traveler). We always made a point of getting back to BA to have a nightcap & listen to excellent music performed by 2 different vocalist/guitarists. We hit 3 new (for me) restaurants this time – all excellent: Kinta, O’Hana’s (owned by Blue Angel DM Matt), & Le Chef.

Fellow Scubaboard member, BettyinToronto arranged a nice happy hour gathering @ the BA restaurant, with almost a dozen other SB'ers joining. Owner Eva, generously added fantastic appetizers – more like gourmet Tapa’s – to the social hour. Thank youBetty & Eva!

Like I’m sure many dedicated BA enthusiasts feel, it’s like a second home for short get-aways or week (+) long vacations in diver’s paradise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KP8VlahWFw&list=UUsBMq9-LCO4yUCj1bHqq9pA&index=1

Thanks for the nice report. Love the restaurant and night time entertainment.
First time I dove with Norman we went to Paradise just the two of us for a 80 minute dive. It was great to just poke around with no current.
Not used to such big lobsters out during the day and not afraid of you.
Eva is such a wonderful host, our first day there on the last trip we had a party out by the pool with lots of drinks. Nice.
Edit: Really enjoyed your video & music, very nice. :coffee:

Ive only been to Cozumel twice, the last trip I stayed at and dove with Blue Angel. I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else. Eva, Matt, and everyone else run a top notch operation. Hotel was great, dive shop was great, restaurant was great.

Enjoyed the video...cn not wait for my next trip to Coz...

excellent video! how many dives did it take to compile all the footage for it?

Thank you! Pretty much the easiest video I've editted/produced - all scenes were in chronological order over the course of 7 days of diving/22 dives. Night scenes were just 1 night dive - Paradise never dissappoints. I was bummed however that I only saw the 2 eagle rays, & the GIANT one @ the end was the 2nd afternoon dive w/ viz on the down side along with the waning light, so footage came out grainy.

Beautiful video! Thank you for sharing... Heading back to Cozumel at the end of March and this was just what I needed to hold me off. "For at least another few days!" :D

Nice video! Love the octos..got my juices flowing, heading to BA in just 13 days..not that I am counting or anything!
Did you find the nitrox fills to be sufficient...or is that something I should check prior to the dive?

Nice video! Love the octos..got my juices flowing, heading to BA in just 13 days..not that I am counting or anything!
Did you find the nitrox fills to be sufficient...or is that something I should check prior to the dive?

Yes, Nitrox tanks were always 3000 lbs or more. Air - different story, as they were many times as low as 2700 (we always used 36% for our second dive). Both my buddy & I are pretty conservative on air usage, so the short fills weren't a big deal - other divers in our boat always hit 500lbs before we did. I raised an eyebrow a few times though, when I changed out my tank to the 2nd, to see I had 400 lbs on the gauge as a result of some of the light tanks we got.

It certainly wouldn't take but a half a minute to check your pressure after checking the O2 - just a thought.

Have a great time!! Wave to the octos for me -

MN Lakeman,

Great report and video! (WOW!!!) Wife and I going to Blue Angel for the 1st time in March. Thanks for sharing. Are the small boats easy to get back in?

Back
Top Bottom