On-island trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhh....Eagle rays!!!!
ahhh....Santa Rosa wall...I miss that dive tremendously!!!
ahhh....El Moro...where you are treated like family and the food is delish!!!
ahhh...another beautiful sunset view!!!!
THANK YOU for sharing in real time!!!!

Today's on-island trip report:

We got up a little late (6:40 am), made some coffee, enjoyed some of our bakery items that we bought last night. Mexican bakeries don't use near as much sugar as we do in the states. That's not a bad thing, but you bite into something expecting it to be sweet, and it's more bread than sweet. No problem. I'm good with that. Pairs well with coffee!

Drove the 0.7 miles to Aldora Villa to pick up the boat, and once again, ours is the first to come get us and we wave to the other 12 people waiting for their boat as we motor away. We are a family of 5, and so far, we've been paired up with "T" a single diver (girlfriend has ear issues the last few days). Poor guy is stuck diving with our family with stupid dad jokes and general goofy-ness. He's a good sport and we offer him Starbursts and mini Snickers bars between dives, so he tolerates us.

Decided to try Cantrell and see if we can see schooling eagle rays. It starts a few hundred yards North of our condo and less than a mile (?) N of Aldora Villa. No other dive boats in the area, so that's GREAT. Surface is quite calm! We drop off the boat one-by-one, and I take two fin kicks and think "hey, really easy kicking this morning" when I realize that I didn't put on my fins!!!! I tell the captain "I FORGOT MY FINS" and he laughs at me and tosses me them one at a time I'm getting better at cleaning my ears, so I catch up with the group before they hit bottom! My kids think this is the funniest thing they've ever seen. Yay dad!

Current is RIPPING. We fly over everything, and try to take cover behind some of the big sponges. No eagle rays to be seen. Bummer. Still, a great dive. It feels a bit like exploring since we are the only boat North this morning. 80 minute dive. We switched to Nitrox today, too, by the way.

SI at Playa Azul. Took some pictures, some swimming, then back on the boat.

2nd dive was San Juan. Current also ripping. Saw moray, lobster, massive schools of grunts, finger coral fields, etc. 90 minute dive! I'm lucky the kids are good on air. My wife is using my mask since hers doesn't seem to fit anymore. Mine is a kid's mask and it's OK, but I have to clear it every 10 minutes. The kids laugh when I look at them and the mask is 1/4 full of water.

Instead of beers by the pool, we head across the island to Sr. Iguanas for tacos and ceviche. Pretty good, but $75 for lunch. Ouch. We take the Tequila tour on the way back. It was decent, but I got suckered into buying a $79 bottle of tequila. Yikes.

Home for some swimming, chatting with condo neighbors by the pool. Decide on dinner at O'Hana. Chicago pizza, lobster, chicken sandwich. Pizza takes a long time, so we play some 20-question type games. No problem. A nice evening in the backyard of O'Hana. PB shots to finish off the meal, and now home winding down!

Pics:

coz4 - 1 (2).jpeg

coz4 - 1.jpeg

coz4 - 1 (1).jpeg

Try exhaling through your nose on each breathe to exhaust the h20.

Our last 2 dives were yesterday. Hope u get as waterlogged as I feel after 3 weeks here...

Home for some swimming, chatting with condo neighbors by the pool. Decide on dinner at O'Hana. Chicago pizza, lobster, chicken sandwich. Pizza takes a long time, so we play some 20-question type games. No problem. A nice evening in the backyard of O'Hana. PB shots to finish off the meal, and now home winding down!
Great report but one quibbling point: the name of that restaurant (owned by a friend of mine and his wife) isn't O'Hana; it's 'Ohana. It's the Hawaiian name for an extended family and friends; it's not Irish.

The owner is Mateo, who is a bear of a guy from Chicago and a long time DM at Blue Angel.

sorry, had to laugh out loud when you jumped in without fins! When the DM says "pool open" you were ready to go enjoy the beauty down under for sure!!!
I can taste the PB shot at Ohana's while waiting on that wonderful Chicago style pizza to cook. YUM!!!
Thanks once again for making the time to update here daily. Photos are much appreciated too....my heart aches from missing the island! Keep enjoying!

sorry, had to laugh out loud when you jumped in without fins! When the DM says "pool open" you were ready to go enjoy the beauty down under for sure!!!
Let's see, what stupid things have I done...

Backrolling in without fins, yes. Once I put my diveskin on inside out (or was it backwards?) under my shorty so that when it was time to zip it up I couldn't. Tooling around on the surface breathing through my snorkel, looking at the reef while waiting for the rest of the group to roll in, I started my descent without switching from snorkel to regulator.

I won't even talk about what happened the first time I tried to deploy my SMB. :D

Great report but one quibbling point: the name of that restaurant (owned by a friend of mine and his wife) isn't O'Hana; it's 'Ohana. It's the Hawaiian name for an extended family and friends; it's not Irish.

The owner is Mateo, who is a bear of a guy from Chicago and a long time DM at Blue Angel.

Got it. I'm Irish, so maybe that's why I imagined it that way. I've known Mateo for quite a few years now. Not well, just know of him, say hi when we are there, etc.

Some notes from today.....

Slept in a bit, no walk, no run.

Got to Aldora Villa to pick up the boat, and our names weren't on the board.... oh oh. A day off, I guess? No, they just didn't get a chance to write it down.

Once again, our boat was the 1st to pickup from the villa. Adios, Amigos! I had mentioned "Columbia Deep" to the DM ("D") on the 2nd day, so he was going to take us there, but I told him that I'm open to anything. I don't know the sites terribly, well, so he said we should try Columbia Pinnacles. It was fantastic! Great swim throughs, exiting to the wall in some cases. Spectacular landscaping. Everyone loved it. Big eagle ray at the beginning. Easy to get too deep on this one. Caught myself at 110' on 32% nitrox.

Note that Aldora not only has steel big tanks, but they also leave at 7:30 am, so you are typically one of the 1st boats to the dive sites! It's busy this time of year. We had 7 divers plus the DM today. No problems, though, we all use the same amount of air, so that's nice.

SI at Paradise Beach Club. Nice place. Interesting watching multiple young couples spending many minutes posing for pictures on the beach. Instagram influencers? Odd behavior, if you ask me. We had some good chuckles watching them.

2nd dive was Punta Tunich. Current was pretty strong. Saw the cutest little nurse shark in a small under hang. He couldn't have been more than 18" long. Saw a big turtle hiding in a little cave, too. Our DM "D" has a crazy ability to stop and hover in the current. We are all finning like mad to stop and look at things, and he just..... stops..... No discernible movement of fins or anything. Probably magnets or something. He's great. Very good communicator. Doesn't use the shaker unless it's something worthwhile. Works hard - puts our gear in bags immediately after the 2nd dive. Captain Fidel is good, too. Like all these boat captains, he gets to a patch of water, glances overboard, and says "we're here". How do they do that????

Lounged by the pool, napped, souvenir shopping, dinner at Los Otates / Tacotoles. $54 for a LOT of food and drink.

Beauty sunrise this morning:

coz5 - 1.jpeg

The kid seems to enjoy his dinner choice. 6 tacos:

coz5 - 1 (3).jpeg

You can eat a lot of food not not much dinero:

coz5 - 1 (2).jpeg

Here comes that goofy party scow again....

coz5 - 1 (1).jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom