January in Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanco

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
trying to organized my vacation in Kauai in January 23.
Diving is more difficult in this month?
Rough water and colder?
more tourists?
more rain?
any idea of surfing condition?
thank
Jean

I dove Kauai many years ago over Xmas/New Years. Weather and diving conditions were very good. Kauai is not as touristy as the other islands and who knows what COVID will bring in the new year. Not a surfer but you may find something on FB.

I dove Kauai many years ago over Xmas/New Years. Weather and diving conditions were very good. Kauai is not as touristy as the other islands and who knows what COVID will bring in the new year. Not a surfer but you may find something on FB.
I had the same experience during the same time of year. Really enjoyed the south side diving over that week. It was windy in the evenings and less so throughout the day, so bring a light spray jacket if you're boat diving. No idea as to shore diving. Water temps are typically Hawaiian, i.e.: a few degrees cooler than other tropical destinations. No idea about surfing conditions.

Hello,
trying to organized my vacation in Kauai in January 23.
Diving is more difficult in this month?
Rough water and colder?
more tourists?
more rain?
any idea of surfing condition?
thank
Jean
Aloha Jean,
Diving in January is actually more fun in my opinion because you'll be in Humpback whale season. The water can be mid 70's by January. The water around Kauai always has the possibility of being "exciting"(aka rough), but not unsafe(shops will cancel if so, but not overly common). Diving off the south and southwest side are ideal that time of the year. Winter brings big north swell, but not always. Niihau in the winter can be insanely awesome if the north swell is down. Late January will be a way less touristy time of the year. Rain, definitely more possibility in the winter here, but hey, you'll get wet diving anyways right? Sometimes we'll get heavy rain that will lower viz and in some cases lower it too much to dive. As for surfing, what experience level are you, plenty places to surf for different experience levels. Sorry quick response, long day on the water here, time for dinner and sleep! Feel free to DM with me any all questions you may have. I can help out with anything Kauai related.
-Nick

Back
Top Bottom