January trip with family - want suggestions for location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbd05

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are looking to take a trip in early-mid January with the whole family. 3 experienced adult divers, 1 adult non-diver, and 2 small kids. We love places that have shore access for great snorkeling for the kids and the non-diver, and easy diving for us so we don't have to be away for the whole day on a dive boat. Have been to Bonaire and Coco View on Roatan and enjoyed those for the easy access shore diving/snorkeling, but not all those places were kid-friendly. Any suggestions??

We are looking to take a trip in early-mid January with the whole family. 3 experienced adult divers, 1 adult non-diver, and 2 small kids. We love places that have shore access for great snorkeling for the kids and the non-diver, and easy diving for us so we don't have to be away for the whole day on a dive boat. Have been to Bonaire and Coco View on Roatan and enjoyed those for the easy access shore diving/snorkeling, but not all those places were kid-friendly. Any suggestions??

You should try Hotel Cozumel and Dive paradise. They have everything you asked about and they took great care of us during last years ScubaBoards Cozumel Invasion.

Depending on the age of the kids - you may want to consider Buddy Dive - Bonaire - they have a kids club.

You are describing nothing other than Bonaire.

Since you liked CoCoView but have these additional new criteria,
there really is no other option
so well suited in the Caribbean other than Bonaire.

Bonaire offers not only easy access shore diving (remember, this is an "advanced skill"),
but there are many on shore diversions. You could have your non-diver sit with the car and
wait for you to surface, or they could get another vehicle and go off on their own. Not a lot
of diversions other than beautiful scenery and white sand.

Let's head this off before it starts: You will hear cries of doom in regards to thievery and
property crime as relating to parked vehicles on Bonaire. It does occur, just as it would at any shore dive
island... but how many are there? So Bonaire takes the bad press. Leave your rental car un-locked,
windows down. You don't need to take anything with you except your drivers license and a few dollars...
and they are both quite waterproof. Don't leave much of anything in the car.

I wouldn't put the entire island nation anywhere near the same category as CoCoView for
easy access shore snorkeling quality
- CCV is impossible to beat from my experience, but
possibly the morning dive boats offered at the resort will have a snorkel option- the snorkeling
around the off-lying islet (Klein Bonaire) is pretty nice... as good-as or better than CCV Wall.
This is where the majority of Bonaire boat dives are done, as well.

Have you checked out Curacao? I love Bonaire, but topside it can't compare to Curacao for non-divers. There are a number of large resorts with beach access and lots of activities for kids. It was our first choice for multi-family vacations when our kids were young. The diving wasn't as good as Bonaire, but it was pretty darn nice :) We stayed at Breezes, it's an AI which includes diving, but it's not five star if that's what you're looking for. Safe, easy snorkeling and a circus school for the kids. Kinda miss those days...

Just got back from Beaches in Turks and Caicos where I completed my OW training. Great all-inclusive resort, with plenty to do for everyone. Scuba included, one & two tank dives daily. Great reef 10 minute walk up the beach you can snorkel out to with nurse sharks, turtles and eels. Kids everywhere, with lots to do for them. Great food, even by non-all-inclusive standards. Excellent service. Terrific dive staff. If you can't tell, I loved it.

Back
Top Bottom